History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hadham Hall (Hadham Hall School Hertfordshire County Council) 400 Metres from Road

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Hadham, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8845 / 51°53'4"N

Longitude: 0.109 / 0°6'32"E

OS Eastings: 545249

OS Northings: 222765

OS Grid: TL452227

Mapcode National: GBR LC4.Y2S

Mapcode Global: VHHLM.TWZP

Entry Name: Hadham Hall (Hadham Hall School Hertfordshire County Council) 400 Metres from Road

Listing Date: 19 October 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395673

Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Hadham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Hadham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bishops Stortford

Listing Text

TL 4522 LITTLE HADHAM STORTFORD ROAD
(north side)

11/1 Hadham Hall
(Hadham Hall School:
19.10.57 Herts C.C.) 400 metres
from road

GV II*

Country House, now a school. c.1572. Large brick courtyard
house of Henry Capel, replacing a C15 house to SE. Extensions to
E with terraced gardens, by Arthur Capel, c.1634. Reduced to S
and W wings c.1668 when Earl of Essex moved to Cassiobury.
Altered c.1720. E part of S wing demolished 1848. Renovated and
extended to N 1901-2 by William Minet (owner acting as
architect). Converted to a school 1949-52. English bond narrow
red brick. Moulded brick plastered mullions and window
surrounds. Steep old red tile roofs. 1902 additions in red
brick with stone dressings and crowsteps. Present U-shaped plan
represents C16 W range substantially intact: W half of C16 S
range, with outer arch of a central S gateway: and N range
rebuilt in 1902, with tall single storey billiard room (1902) on
N. Cellars of S range continue to E under garden. W range had
sets of lodgings, on 2 floors and attics, entered from courtyard
by small doorways now blocked. Central W gateway, flanked by
semi-octagonal turrets in W, now main entrance. A wide corridor
with heavy timbered partition and moulded arched doorways, ran
within the back of this range and survives on the 1st floor. S
range has a lofty 1st floor, and a low Ground floor raised up on
a tunnel-vaulted cellar with 4 centred vault. N range has
service rooms with domestic accommodation above. Symmetrical W
front of 2 storeys with plinth, and parapet ramping up to 3
storeys crenelated turrets. Straight gabled parapet to 3 storeys
centre, with round arched stone entrance, moulded imposts and
correct Doric entablature, with paterae between triglyphs,
breaking forward for columns since removed. 4-light ovolo-
moulded, mullioned and transomed windows, with pediments on W
front and 2 windows on each floor, each side of gate. Smaller
pedimented windows to turrets and attics. Panelled square brick
finials to corners. Parapeted gables with chimneys each with 2
octagonal shafts, 1 decorated. Roof structure and rebuilt
parapet suggest former gabled dormers, perhaps crow stepped,
along W front. Crow stepped W gable of S wing original.
Straight joints suggest N half of W range built first, and S half
and turrets later. Roof structure of clasped purlin collar
trusses with curved wind braces unusually rising from top of
purlin to principal. Cranked timbers carry a platform for a
cupola, now gone. Ground floor room S of gateway has early C18
stair in D-shaped rear projection, and fine Arts and Crafts
chimneypiece c.1902, of polished hardwood, inset with large
Persian tiles, a decorated enamelled band, carved achievement,
and a deep ceramic frieze of cats at ceiling (rebus of Minet).
Fine C16 chimneypiece and painted oak panelling in SW room. 2
panelled rooms over now 1, with small C17 oak panelling and
fluted frieze with triglyphs. Corner lobby in SE, of wainscott
with cockspur hinges. Tall fluted pilasters flank S fireplace
with 'Japanese' cast iron grate to Thomas Jeckyll design. Grand
1st floor of S range unequally divided c.1720, with fine
bolection moulded, panelled interiors with moulded cornices, 6-
panelled doors and tall sash windows along S front. Square pier
rises from cellar floor to support central fireplaces on 1st
floor. Small roundheaded windows to Ground floor with C17
external stack at SE corner of range. Centrepiece of an
important group of historic buildings. (RCHM (1911) 145-6: VCH
(1914) 51-3 and plan: Minet (1914): Douglas (1973): Pevsner
(1977) 240-1: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL4524922765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.