History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, Northcroft Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.402 / 51°24'7"N

Longitude: -1.325 / 1°19'29"W

OS Eastings: 447051

OS Northings: 167209

OS Grid: SU470672

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.1TG

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Z1D2

Entry Name: 4, Northcroft Lane

Listing Date: 29 September 1950

Last Amended: 2 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211288

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395796

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

1. NORTHCROFT LANE
5127 (north side)

No 4
(formerly listed as
No 4 (Almshouses))
SU 4767 SW 6/177 29.9.50

II GV


2.
Circa 1821 almshouses erected and endowed by John Childs for 3 male members of the
Church of England. Gothick style. Two storeys. Double fronted with 3 windows.
Hipped tile roof. Red brick with dentil eaves cornice. Arched. 2-light casement
window with Y tracery and hoodmounds. Wide central doorway with moulded hood.
Blind window over doorway with dedicatory inscription 'This Almshouse was erected
and endorsed AD 1821 by Mr John Childs sail-cloth manufacturer of this town for
poor men of good moral character, natives and parishoners of Newbury'.
(VCH Berkshire 4, 153).


Listing NGR: SU4705167209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. NORTHCROFT LANE
5127 (north side)

No 4
(formerly listed as
No 4 (Almshouses))
SU 4767 SW 6/177 29.9.50

II GV


2.
Circa 1821 almshouses erected and endowed by John Childs for 3 male members of the
Church of England. Gothick style. Two storeys. Double fronted with 3 windows.
Hipped tile roof. Red brick with dentil eaves cornice. Arched. 2-light casement
window with Y tracery and hoodmounds. Wide central doorway with moulded hood.
Blind window over doorway with dedicatory inscription 'This Almshouse was erected
and endorsed AD 1821 by Mr John Childs sail-cloth manufacturer of this town for
poor men of good moral character, natives and parishoners of Newbury'.
(VCH Berkshire 4, 153).


Listing NGR: SU4705167209

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.