This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.535 / 50°32'6"N
Longitude: -4.9778 / 4°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 189078
OS Northings: 74819
OS Grid: SW890748
Mapcode National: GBR ZK.B9PW
Mapcode Global: FRA 07GN.2LM
Entry Name: Trenearne
Listing Date: 24 April 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396039
Location: Padstow, Cornwall, PL28
Civil Parish: Padstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Padstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 87 SE
House, now farmhouse. Circa early C17, or possibly 1660 (datestone) for 'PW' or
remodelled at that date. Stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Gabled end and
lateral stacks with later brick shafts.
Plan: The house only survives in part and was probably of overall 'H' shaped plan of
which the lower cross wing has been demolished. The original position of the
entrance in uncertain.
The right hand (north-east) side of the house comprises the higher cross wing
containing a 2-room plan heated by gabled end stacks with 3 principal chambers above.
The central range has been remodelled and probably contained the original cross or
through passage; the hall was possibly heated by a front lateral stack which is now
situated in the left hand corner of the house. A C19 stair has been added in an
outshut to the rear of this central range. The house probably continued with a
second cross wing on the lower left hand (south west) side of the house; this cross
wing would have probably accommodated the service rooms.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Moulded granite strings and continuous hood mould above the
first floor windows. The higher right hand cross wing is complete with 4-light
mullion window on ground floor and 3-light mullion window above in the front and rear
elevations. The right hand side on the north east is also unaltered with double
gables to the end stacks and a mullion window on the first floor lighting the central
principal chamber. The lower truncated left hand wall on the south west is slate
Interior: Through or cross passage remodelled although the door frames to the 2
principal rooms in the right hand cross wing and to central room are complete with
ovolo-moulded timber frames with high jewelled and stepped stops with the initials PW
and date 1660 in the bars of the stops of two of the door frames. The fireplaces to
the 3 rooms have been covered over and C20 fireplaces placed in front. C19 stair.
The entrances to the first floor chambers in the cross wing have been altered to
accommodate a corridor and the doors and door frames have been reset; the doorframes
are ovolo moulded with high stops and the C17 studded doors survives one of
double lapped construction, each with framing and strap hinges. The 3 chambers in
the cross wing each had a barrel vaulted ceiling, the end partitions survive in the
roof. However, the fine quality C17 plaster friezes remain in 2 of the rooms; the
front room with a Pegasus theme and plaster overmantle with oval wreath and
strapwork, and C17 granite lintel decorated with zig-zag patterns with ovolo-moulded
ribs. The rear room on the north west has a plaster frieze with alternating floral
and fleur-de-lys patterns and a splendid overmantle with strapwork and a central
robed angel flanked by 2 robed figures.
The roof structure comprises principals with morticed apices and partly halved, lap-
jointed and pegged collars and trenched purlins. The feet of the principals on the
lower side of the cross wing appear to rest on a replaced timber wall plate.
The Barton of Trenearne with Treator (qv), Tregerryn, Treniow and Trelowsa were
acquired by the Peter family through a marriage of William Peter with Jane, daughter
of Sir Roger Arundell in the C16. In 1579 Thomas Peter was given these estates and
he first settled at Trenearne, therefore suggesting that he either built a house
there or that there was already a house existing. However, he then moved to Treator
(qv) making it the residence of the descendants of the Peter family for about 200
Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872, reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SW8907874819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings