History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yelling, Saint Neots, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2459 / 52°14'45"N

Longitude: -0.1526 / 0°9'9"W

OS Eastings: 526221

OS Northings: 262468

OS Grid: TL262624

Mapcode National: GBR J3W.47J

Mapcode Global: VHGM9.9TN4

Plus Code: 9C4X6RWW+9W

Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 14 May 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211788

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396279

Location: Yelling, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Yelling

Built-Up Area: Yelling

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Yelling

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Papworth Everard

Listing Text

TL 26 SE YELLING HIGH STREET
(North Side)

3/149 Parish Church of
14.5.59 the Holy Cross

- II*


Parish church of which the north arcade c.1180-90 is the oldest
surviving part. South aisle and arcade added in late C13, and
chancel rebuilt. In late C14 clerestorey added to nave, west
tower and south porch built, and walls of chancel altered and
raised. Church restored in 1730 and in 1868-69 when the north
aisle was rebuilt and the south aisle and porch in 1889. The
spire was removed in C19. Walls of rubble with Barnack
limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of slates and lead.
South elevation. Tower of three stages with moulded plinth and
embattled parapet and grotesque gargoyles at the angles. Bell-
chamber window of two trefoiled lights with a quatre-foil.
Three, two-trefoiled light windows to clerestorey. Two original
C13 windows in south aisle wall, south doorway has two-centred
arch with moulded label and mask stops. South porch with outer
two-centred archway with hollow-chamfered, moulded jambs.
Chancel has two, two-light cinquefoil windows with a quatre-foil
in a two-centred head. Interior. North arcade of three bays
with two-centred arches supported by circular piers with
scalloped capitals and moulded bases. South arcade later with
octagonal piers moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch c.1300
has a two-centred arch with responds of three grouped shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch, two-centred with
two hollow-chamfered orders and middle order springing from a
moulded capital. Late C13 double piscanae. Monument in south
wall tomb recess late C13. Font C13, square bowl with splayed
angles with octagonal stem and moulded base. Sun-dial on
south-east buttress of south aisle.
RCHM (Hunts) p308. VCH (Hunts) p382.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p372.


Listing NGR: TL2622162468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.