This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1123 / 52°6'44"N
Longitude: -0.7015 / 0°42'5"W
OS Eastings: 489019
OS Northings: 246788
OS Grid: SP890467
Mapcode National: GBR CZD.HH3
Mapcode Global: VHDSV.S5JK
Entry Name: Church of St Laud
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351047
Location: Sherington, Milton Keynes, MK16
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Sherington
Built-Up Area: Sherington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sherington with Chicheley, North Crawley, Astwood and Hardmead
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 88 46 & SP 89 46 SHERINGTON CHURCH END
17.11.66 Parish Church of
Parish church. Nave, north aisle and crossing mid C13, south aisle and
porch mid C14. Chancel rebuilt, upper part of central tower, clerestory,
nave and aisle timber roofs c1475. Limestone rubble and dressings. Lead
roofs, but old plain tiles to chancel roof. Plain parapets to nave and
aisles, battlemented to tower and west end. The plan consists of a 2 bay
chancel with C19 north vestry. Central tower, then 4 bay aisled nave with
2 storey south porch. Perpendicular 3-light chancel windows. Central
tower is of three storeys. At east angles are diagonal buttresses and to
south west semi-octagonal stair turret. Below belfry stage which has pairs
of tall 2-light windows are 3 centred relieving arches. Nave south aisle
has 2 south windows of 3-lights with flowing elaborate tracery of c1330.
Then 2 storey porch with diagonal buttresses, a north west stair turret.
2 order outer entrance arch. Inside stone benches along side walls with
trefoil leaded tracered blind arcades over To left of porch 3-light geometric
decorated window having 3 cusped circles. West elevation has large 5-light
window of C15, cinquefoil lights, vertical tracery and 2-centred head.
Clerestory has 4 windows of 3 uncusped lights in 4 centred heads. North
aisle has on north wall 2, 2-light windows, east one C16, the west c 1340.
C14 central doorway. 3-light windows to east wall of aisles. Interior. Central
tower has east and west arches of 3 chamfered orders to 3 engaged circular
shafts. Nave north arcade circular piers with C13 moulded bases and capitals
large square plinths. 2 chamfered orders to arches. Apparently rebuilt c1500.
South arcade similar but with octagonal piers and C14 moulded bases and
capitals. Nave roof, early C16, low pitched with moulded tie-beams, purlins
and wall plate, resting on shield corbels. North aisle roof similar but with
angel corbels. South aisle roof similar, but without angels. Porch has stone
vault with carved boss. Piscine in north aisle, partly obscured by nave
north wall, trefoil head, C13, South aisle ogee headed C14 Triple sedilia
in chancel, C15 font octagonal with moulded panels having saints under crocketed
ogee arches. Stem has tracered panels. C15 1783 brass 'spider' candelabrum.
Pulpit C18 RCHM 11 259 MON. 1
Listing NGR: SP8901046787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings