This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8443 / 54°50'39"N
Longitude: -3.2824 / 3°16'56"W
OS Eastings: 317746
OS Northings: 550693
OS Grid: NY177506
Mapcode National: GBR 5DJF.58
Mapcode Global: WH6YZ.KH5N
Entry Name: Mill Grove
Listing Date: 1 April 1967
Last Amended: 19 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71964
Location: Holme Abbey, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Holme Abbey
Built-Up Area: Abbeytown
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Holme Cultram St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 15 SE HOLME ABBEY Abbeytown
6/13 Mill Grove (formerly
listed as Mill Grove
1/4/67 House, Mill Grove
Cottage and barn)
Abbey Infirmary, later vicarage, now farmhouse. Probably 1472, when the
infirmary was ordered to be rebuilt, but probably incorporating an earlier
building. Extensively rebuilt with inscription and date R.F. & F.F. (Robert
Farish & Frances his wife, the miller for the nearby Abbey Mill) 1664; further
late C17 or early C18 extension. Large blocks of coursed red sandstone on
chamfered plinth (mostly of stone from Holme Cultram Abbey). Welsh slate roof
with coped gables and kneelers; brick chimney stacks, on stone base to left. 2
storeys, 3 bays to left probably C15, next 2 bays mid C17 and 3-bay extension to
right; all under common roof. Projecting left 2-bay section contains
partly-recessed 2-storey stone bow, with mullioned windows, to right of 2 small
chamfered windows under hood moulds. Buttress to right of the bow window.
Larger chamfered-surround casement window under hood mould to right beneath
2-pane sash window in painted stone architrave. Central C20 door in painted
chamfered surround under inscribed lintel with straight chamfer, above flattened
Tudor arch, and carved hood mould. Sash windows with glazing bars on ground
floor and 2-pane sashes above, all in painted stone architraves. Extension has
C20 door and glazed fanlight in painted stone surround. Sash windows, those on
ground floor with glazing bars, all in painted stone architraves. Rear wall
incorporates an early wall with blocked entrance and flanking niches. Arched
recess under stair extension looks medieval. Interior has large stone arched
inglenook and similar dividing arch in principal room of the older part. See
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new
series, xiii, pp246 & 250 (plan). Further extension to right is of no interest
and barn to left is listed separately.
Listing NGR: NY1775950732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings