This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1735 / 52°10'24"N
Longitude: -0.6618 / 0°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 491609
OS Northings: 253650
OS Grid: SP916536
Mapcode National: GBR F00.MJ1
Mapcode Global: VHFPY.GMZN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397102
Location: Lavendon, Milton Keynes, MK46
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Lavendon
Built-Up Area: Lavendon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lavendon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 95 SW LAVENDON HIGH STREET
2/56 Church of St.Michael
Parish church. Anglo-Saxon, C12 and later, restored 1851, tower 1829-8.
Rubble stone with dressings some in brown Northants ironstone. Lead roof,
with battlemented parapets to tower, N & S aisles and porches, tiled
C19 roof to chancel with stone coped E. gable with cross finial. Tall
unbuttressed tower of 4 stages, the lower 3 Saxon with some herring bone
stonework and narrow arched windows. Top stage probably C14 with 2 light
traceried belfry windows.Exterior shows C13 lancets in chancel, C14 windows
to E. end of aisle. C15 windows and both porches. Interior: nave of
3 bays with Transitional Norman arches with round piers and square
capitals, those to S. arcade with grotesque heads on the angles.
S. arches are surrounded by chevron fretting, the N. arches are plain
with small hood mould. C15 clerestorey with 3 windows each side, and
over the tower arch is a deeply recessed Norman window. Some Saxon
stonework has been exposed over N. arcade. Both aisles are carried east
beyond the chancel arch to lower small chapels, that on the S. now
filled by a C19 organ. Nave and aisles have C15 timber roofs. Chancel
C13 restored C19 with piscina and linage bracket to RH of altar.
Font: C15 octagonal with traceried panelling Pulpit: C17. Monuments
in chancel include a bold stone cartouche with oval bolection panel of
polished black marble to Catherine wife of Thomas Newton 1680, 2 small
brasses one of which is to Jas.Newton of "Ye in Ward Temple." 1690,
and CB wall monument to members of Newton family. In the vestry is a
small alabaster figure found on the site of Lavendon Abbey.
RCHM II p 161 MON 1
Listing NGR: SP9160653648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings