This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7532 / 50°45'11"N
Longitude: -3.2803 / 3°16'49"W
OS Eastings: 309778
OS Northings: 95627
OS Grid: SY097956
Mapcode National: GBR P7.LV12
Mapcode Global: FRA 4703.3VQ
Entry Name: The Chanter's House
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397356
Location: Ottery St. Mary, East Devon, Devon, EX11
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Ottery St. Mary
Civil Parish/community: Ottery St Mary
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ottery St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1481 (North Side)
The Chanter's House
SY 09 NE 1/4 28.4.52.
Dates from the days of the College but little trace of antiquity remains, mainly
enclosed by large brick outer additions by Butterfield including a 3rd storey,
extending also above the C18. 2 storey, 5 window portion facing south with
central Doric porch with tall columns and radial bar ganlight to entrance,
and glazing bars to windows. The C17 centre is the former Heath's Court, with
dining room used as Convention room by Cromwell in 1645 Fairfax stayed at the
house from October to December in that year. Some of the walls of the old Precentor's house and painted beams remain. See "The Story oo a Devonshire House" by Coleridge. Still the home of the Coleridges one of whom was Lord Chief Justice.
Listing NGR: SY0977895627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings