This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7826 / 51°46'57"N
Longitude: -2.6498 / 2°38'59"W
OS Eastings: 355271
OS Northings: 209525
OS Grid: SO552095
Mapcode National: GBR FN.YZ73
Mapcode Global: VH872.1G09
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 353785
Location: Newland, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL16
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Newland
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
SO 50 NE NEWLAND NEWLAND VILLAGE CENTRE
8/96 Church of All Saints
12.12.53 (formerly listed under Newland)
Parish Church. Begun early C13, mid C14 and early C15 south and
north chancel chapels, and late C19 clerestory and restorations.
Rubble stone, dressed stone quoins, stone slate roof with coped
gables with cross finials. West tower, nave and broad 3-bay
aisles, gabled south porch with adjoining gabled chantry chapel
1305, chancel with flanking chapels. Tower is of 3 stages with
string courses and stepped diagonal buttresses. Large west window
with Y tracery and elongated quatrefoil above and many ogee lights
on upper stages. Pierced parapet with pointed trefoil decoration
and grouped crocketed pinnacles at each corner with spire finials.
South east corner has curved belfry stair and enlarged pinnacle
group. Clock face to east. 1305 chantry chapel has 3-light
Perpendicular window with drip mould and carved head label stops.
Large 5-light intersecting tracery window to south chancel chapel.
North chancel chapel has 3-light Perpendicular window, pierced
cusped parapet and internal rood stair entrance.
Interior: nave roof has collar and tie beam trusses with curved
windbracing between beams and struts to posts. 5 bay arcade of
pointed arches on octagonal pillars with C19 clerestory of
alternate one-and 3-light windows. Fine ironwork screen across
south aisle to south chancel chapel which contains some medieval
floor tiles. Early C17 wooden communion rail with spiral
balusters. Octagonal font 1661 of local craft with shields in
cartouches and simple leaf and geometrical decoration on shaft.
Stained glass by Clayton & Bell in C19 renewed east window and by
Kempe 1898 in south chantry chapel. Many floor tombstones from
C17, and wall monuments including several C17 stone monuments and
many marble of C18 and C19. Also several effigies, including tomb
chest of Sir John Joce, died 1344, and his lady died 1362;
effigies of 2 priests, one of C13 thought to be founder of church,
Robert de Wakering, and the other of late C14; unique effigy of
Wyrhall, Forester of Fee, dated 1457 in hunting costume (family who
lived at Bicknor Court q.v.). Also several brasses including
small brass of medieval Forest of Dean miner. Church is called
the "Cathedral of the Forest" because of breadth of aisles. (David
Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the
[Forest of Dean 1980.]
Listing NGR: SO5527109525
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings