This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4747 / 51°28'28"N
Longitude: -0.0148 / 0°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 537970
OS Northings: 176952
OS Grid: TQ379769
Mapcode National: GBR L1.T2S
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.P6KB
Plus Code: 9C3XFXFP+V3
Entry Name: John Roan Girls School
Listing Date: 4 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398387
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenwich West
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3776 DEVONSHIRE DRIVE
36/769 JOHN ROAN GIRLS SCHOOL
Former school. Built to the designs of Thomas Dinwiddy in 1877-8 in Gothic style
with additions to the east of 1906-7 designed by Alfred Roberts and on the west of
1936-7 by Percy B Darnatt. Built of red brick with stone dressings and slate roof.
Comprises central portion with link blocks and gabled wings. Central block of
2 storeys is surmounted by an octagonal bell-cote with spire and metal weathervane.
Gable ended with stone coping with kneelers. Brick Lombardic frieze and beneath a
stone band with the legend "ROAN GIRLS SCHOOL". 1st floor has elaborate 4-light
central bay with dogtooth cornice, quatrefoil mullions and engaged columns. This is
flanked by trefoliated lancets. Stone band. Arched doorcase with cable moulding
and engaged columns. Ground floor has Caernarvon arched windows. Each side has a
lower 2 storey brick link block with 3:2 Caernarvon arched windows to left and 2:2
similar to right. Left gable has stone coping. 1st floor 3-light window with
quatrefoil and ground floor 4-light mullioned and transomed window. Right gable
similar but also has the foundation stone. Attached to the right hand side is
Alfred Robert's extension of 1906-7, 2 storeys red brick with 3 sashes. To the rear
is a further extension of 1906-7 in red brick with flat roof with cast iron
balustrading and piers. Sash windows some cambered on the ground floor with
buttresses between. Built on to the left hand side is the 1936-7 extension by
Percy B Darnatt of red brick in flemish bond with mansard slate roof, 5 metal
casement and some 4-light windows with some ogee heads and Cinquefoil mouldings.
Attached to the front is red brick wall with 7 octagonal brick and stone gatepiers
with trefoil ornament and pointed caps with cable moulding. There has been
John Roan schools in Greenwich since 1677 but this is the most elaborate of the
2 surviving old Roan schools, for boys and girls. They were amongst the earliest
purpose built secondary schools in South East London and were built on the Prussian
See 'The Architect' 28 November 1874
Listing NGR: TQ3797076952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings