This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8487 / 51°50'55"N
Longitude: 0.1427 / 0°8'33"E
OS Eastings: 547688
OS Northings: 218844
OS Grid: TL476188
Mapcode National: GBR LCS.0WR
Mapcode Global: VHHLV.FSBP
Entry Name: Thorley Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398444
Location: Thorley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Thorley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Thorley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 41 NE THORLEY CHURCH LANE
4/12 Thorley Hall
House. Late C13/early C14 origin as timberframed aisled hall-
house of Gerbergh family now the W wing (RCHM Typescript).
Altered and 2 storey, 3-bay, S wing built c.1390-1414. Central
chimney and inserted floor built in hall in early C17. Estate
plan of 1672/3 (HRO) shows a N cross-wing with kitchen beyond,
probably demolished c.1714 when S wing was also altered
internally and extended to W for double its length, and main
entrance moved to S front. 2 storey rear extension shows in
Buckler's drawings of 1834 (HRO). In mid C19, S front and N and
E walls of E extension faced in red brick with regular windows,
ignoring the higher floor level in E parts of S wing. N end of W
hall wing altered to lean to roof. Steep old red tile roofs. W
wing plastered with panelled pargetting. Jettied upper floor of
gable of cross wing on 4 heavy curved brackets. C18 flush box
sash window, with 6/6 panes, on each floor. C19 triple sash
window and 4-panel, flush beaded door under flat hood to hall.
Large C17, red brick, central chimney at junction of wings with
square shafts set diagonally. S front of 2 storeys and 7 windows
in C19 red brick with plinth, and segmentl arches to openings.
Modillioned cornice shown on Buckler's drawings pre-dates brick
facing. Steep tiled roof hipped at E end. Recessed sash
windows, narrower on 1st floor with 3/3 panes: 4/4 panes below.
Door under wide segmental arch retains early C18 Corinthian
channelled pilasters with moulded caps and bases raised on sunk
panelled dies but no entablature. 6-panel raised and fielded
moulded door with matching 2-panel moulded overdoor and 4-panel
reveals. 2 moulded stone steps. Brickwork corbelled out at
jetty at SW corner. Structure of aisled hall exposed in room
over old kitchen. Decorated central frame of 2-bay aisled hall
of c.1300 of outstanding interest. Octagonal arcade posts,
moulded capitals, cambered tie beam to nave and mortices for
secret notched dovetail lapped joints for straight braces on each
face over the aisles and one on W face from post to tie beam.
About a century later, the hall was reconstructed with narrow
aisles and was converted to a single span by cutting away the
posts below the capitals and inserting a tie beam supported by
heavy curved braces from the outer walls. The crown post roof
then erected over the hall is probably later than that over the
3-bay S wing with its cruciform crown posts and tenonned collars
(Bailey and Hutton (1966) 14) but employs the same hollow
chamfered cornice and may be nearly contemporary. In the hall
the longitudinal arcade plates survive, with heavy square
section, face pegged braces in both bays, but the inserted tie
beam was cut away in the middle when a 1st floor was inserted in
the hall. The fine 3-bay crown post roof of the S wing survives
complete in the roofspace, a ceiling having been inserted well
below the tie beams. Parlour on Ground foor of this wing lined
with early C17 scratch moulded oak panelling with carved
interlace top panels. Heavy cross beam with slots for braces now
removed. Large brick fireplace in old kitchen and former solar
fireplace with wide 3-centred plastered arch survives in 1st
floor cupboard in passage.
Interior refitted in early C18 with fine panelled rooms on each
floor of S wing. 2-panel doors, face fixed H hinges, moulded
cornices, and in some rooms ovolo-moulded panelling, dado rail,
brass case locks, panelled window shutters and moulded door
architraves. Fine small entrance hall, panelled, with moulded
cornice breaking forward over keystones of twin arched openings
on N wall, one leading to contemporary dogleg stair with spiral
balusters. Small panelled study E of entrance has bolection
moulded panel over simple fire surround with moulded shelf.
Of outstanding importance to the development of domestic
architecture and timberframing techniques. (RCHM (1911) 220, VCH
III (1912) 373-4, RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL4768818844
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings