History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Orton Trust Workshop

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orton, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4068 / 52°24'24"N

Longitude: -0.8171 / 0°49'1"W

OS Eastings: 480566

OS Northings: 279417

OS Grid: SP805794

Mapcode National: GBR CVR.471

Mapcode Global: VHDR7.SRDS

Plus Code: 9C4XC54M+P5

Entry Name: The Orton Trust Workshop

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 31 January 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398473

Location: Orton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Orton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rothwell with Orton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Rothwell

Description

ORTON MAIN STREET
SP 87 NW
(north west side)
5/51
The Orton Trust Workshop
25.10.51
(formerly listed as Church
of All Saints)
II*
Church, now stonemasonry centre. C13/14 with earlier origins, restored 1868-87
and 1906. Coursed rubblestone with some dressings and stone slate and parapeted
roof, with stone-coped gables. Choir, nave, south aisle and west tower. Choir
has 2-light east window with Y tracery and hood mould with block stops. Blank
north wall and 2-light window to south with perpendicular tracery and flat-
arched head with hood mould. North wall of nave has two 2-light windows with Y
tracery and hood moulds with carved stops. Similar windows to south aisle with
narrow south-east lancet. Clerestory has two 2-light windows with perpendicular
tracery and flat-arched heads with hood moulds. South porch has chamfered arch
dying into carved corbels, and many-moulded doorway within, with hood mould
which has head stops. C19 plank door. C13 and C14 3-stage west tower has small
narrow lancets to 1st stage, blank walling to 2nd stage and four 2-light bell-
chamber openings with geometrical tracery and hood moulds with carved stops.
String course, crenellated parapet and 4 small pinnacles. Interior has been
cleared of fittings for present use and some partition walls erected but has
chancel arch with round-arched head, 3-bay south arcade with double-chamfered
arches on octagonal piers and unchamfered pointed nave arch. Font with 4 pro-
jecting human and animal heads. Stained glass to east, north nave and south
choir windows.


Listing NGR: SP8056679417

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.