History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Blue House

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorley, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.851 / 51°51'3"N

Longitude: 0.1612 / 0°9'40"E

OS Eastings: 548954

OS Northings: 219143

OS Grid: TL489191

Mapcode National: GBR LCL.ZJ7

Mapcode Global: VHHLV.RQ3W

Plus Code: 9F32V526+CF

Entry Name: The Blue House

Listing Date: 30 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398627

Location: Thorley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thorley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Thorley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Thorley

Description

TL 41 NE THORLEY LONDON ROAD
(east side)
Thorley Street

4/19 The Blue House

-

GV II

House. C17 or earlier. L-shaped 2 storeys, altered and roofs
raised early C18 modern brick extension c.1968. Now two and a
half storeys throughout with cellar under N part of front range.
Timber frame plastered with weatherboarded gable, brick plinth
and old red tile gabled roof. External gable chimneys, E gable of
rear wing weatherboarded, chimney off-centre to N. Tiled, single
storey lean-to on E end. Part plastered, E wall weatherboarded.
W front symmetrical 2 storeys and attics, 3 windows. Flush box
sashes with moulded architraves and drip mould. C18 6/6 paned
sashes on 1st floor. Early C19 sashes with vertical margin
lights on Ground floor. 2 hipped dormers with 2-light casements.
6-panel early C18 moulded raised and fielded door (top 2 panels
glazed) in heavy frame, moulded architrave and heavy projecting
panelled flat hood with moulded cornice recessed in centre.
Vigorous moulded brackets. Wide-sash 6/6 paned on rear wall of
front range. Yorkshire sliding casement to 1st floor of rear
wing. Plank door with old iron latch on N. Plank door and C19
casement windows on S. Large cast iron pump in tall pedimented
wooden casing outside S door. Presents early C18 central
lobby/stair plan with rear kitchen, disguises earlier more
complex plan with S end of front range divided from larger room
to N over cellar. E half of rear wing was axially divided on
both floors with stair in SE corner. Change of floor
construction suggests W bay of 2-bay rear wing may originally,
have been open to the roof. Heavy chamfered bay post with swept
jowl on 1st floor supports cambered tie beam. C17 chamfered
axial beam with hollow stop in Ground floor S room. Cross beam
over N room corresponds to chamfered cross beam in cellar under
the stops indicating an axial division of N end of cellar. Early
C18 stair with turned balusters and moulded capping. 2 panel
moulded doors generally, most with H iron hinges. This is
possibly the messuage called The Blue Boar House alias Mansfields
mentioned in deeds of 1770 in HRO. Part of group with historic
buildings to N.


Listing NGR: TL4895419143

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.