This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.843 / 51°50'34"N
Longitude: 0.1568 / 0°9'24"E
OS Eastings: 548678
OS Northings: 218246
OS Grid: TL486182
Mapcode National: GBR LCS.JGC
Mapcode Global: VHHLV.NYS0
Plus Code: 9F32R5V4+6P
Entry Name: Thorley Wash Grange
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398634
Location: Thorley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23
Civil Parish: Thorley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Thorley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 41 NE THORLEY LONDON ROAD
4/26 Thorley Wash Grange
(Formerly listed as
22.2.67 Thorley Wash Farm)
House. Circa 1700, over C16 or earlier cellar. Refronted early
C18. Main rooms and stair refitted early C19. Porch and kitchen
wing after 1845. Large square double-pile house of 2 storeys,
attics and cellar. Timber frame plastered, W and S walls
roughcast. Steep old red tile hipped U-shaped roof with twin
gables at rear (W). Central chimneys on mid wall. Later C19
single storey rendered brick kitchen extension at NW with steep
old red tile roof. Symmetrical plan with central entrance and
stair with main rooms each side in front part of house. Winding
servants' stair backs onto main stair rising to attics on S.
Separate stair to E attics from 1st floor rear, old kitchen with
massive red brick fireplace and timber lintel on Ground floor NW.
Storage room at SW retains timber grilles for larders.
Symmetrical front on E with 2 hipped 2-light tiled dormers behind
plastered parapet with moulded capping and projecting moulded
wood dentilled cornice carried round tops of 2 canted bay
windows, and returned 5 feet on N and S walls. Flush box sash
windows with moulded architraves and 6/6:8/8:6/6 panes in bays
and 8/8 panes over central door. 6-panel C18 door, raised and
fielded panels, with broad moulded architrave and rectangular
fanlight with lead fan with arrows and swags. Narrow panelled
pilasters truncated for gabled C19 open tiled porch supported on
tapered cast iron columns with flared heads carrying archaic
Greek style Ionic capitals. 2 moulded stone steps. N side has 2
windows on each floor, 1 gabled dormer on right and a projecting
box eaves with dentilled bed mould. Flush box sashed with
moulded architrave and 8/8 panes. Top left a fake window painted
in recess. 3-light wooden mullioned windows with leaded panes
and iron opening light on 1st floor rear and to larder on S wall.
Plank doors with iron strap hinges and iron pins and spring
latches in attics and servants' stair. Diamond leaded old glass
casement used as borrowed light next to larder. 2 panel C18
doors with H hinges remain on 1st floor rear but front rooms on
both floors have early C19 6-panel moulded doors, marble or wood
moulded fire surrounds with pretty Edwardian tiled grates.
Moulded panelled dados in main Ground floor rooms. Cast iron
basket grates in 1st floor SE room and NW room. A fine house
clearly showing domestic changes over 3 centuries.
Listing NGR: TL4867818246
Other nearby listed buildings