This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9269 / 51°55'37"N
Longitude: -0.7622 / 0°45'43"W
OS Eastings: 485211
OS Northings: 226104
OS Grid: SP852261
Mapcode National: GBR D1N.044
Mapcode Global: VHDTL.QTXP
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Last Amended: 17 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398588
Location: Stewkley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stewkley
Built-Up Area: Stewkley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stewkley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE STEWKLEY HIGH STREET NORTH
4/106 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Mid C12 nave, central tower and chancel, C19 S. porch,
vestry 1910. Chancel roof rebuilt 1844, remainder restored by G.E. Street
1862. Coursed lime and ironstone rubble, dressed stone quoins and C19
buttresses, tiled roofs. Romanesque. Sill course with zig-zag
ornament, corbel table with rectangular corbel blocks, some with carved
heads, round arched windows with chevron ornament to arch and jambs.
W. wall of nave has triple arcade of moulded arches with chevron
ornament on plain shafts and piers with carved caps. Outer arches are
blind, taller central arch has door and 2 additional bands of chevron,
the inner continued down the jambs, the outer on spiral shafts with carved
caps. 2 small arches cut up into tympanum with carved winged figures. -
One window above to centre, round window with chevron ornament in gable.
Nave has 2 bays of windows to E., W. bay has much restored doorways with
chevron arches on shafts. N. door has outer band of stepped ornament
and carved caps and impost blocks. S. door has outer band of ball
ornament with carved figure at left end. C19 porch has chevron arch
on paired shafts. Tower has arched windows to N. and S., small slit
windows above. Blind arcaded frieze to bell-chamber with interlaced
chevron arches on engaged shafts, central arch open and louvred. C19
plain parapet, carved gargoyles to corners and centres of each side.
C14 square projection for stair turret at N.E, corner. Chancel of one
bay has elaborate C19 buttresses with shafts. E. wall has triple
arcade with paired shafts flanking central window, outer panels blind.
Arches have chevron and rosette ornament, and plain shafts with
scalloped caps. Slit window in gable. Interior: Sill course with
zig-zag ornament, windows with chevron to arch and jambs. Tower and
chancel arches have inner order of beakhead ornament and outer order of
chevron, both on plain shafts with carved or scalloped capitals. Outer
bands of chevron, that of tower arch terminating in carved heads. Nave
and tower have C19 roofs, chancel has groin vault with chevroned ribs
on shafts with scalloped capitals; reconstructed soffits have C19
painted scroll ornament. Recess in S. wall of chancel has pointed
chamfered arch with hoodmould. Sedilia has original shaped stone
armrest. Early C20 arch to vestry, C19 aumbry and tiles to E. wall.
Fittings: C12-C13 tub font on moulded steps; panel on N, wall of chancel
has fragments of C14-C15 carving with partly painted stone figures of
Virgin and Child,anaels and half-figure of man; C19 Neo-Romanesque
pulpit; W. gallery designed by G.F, Bodley 1908; E. window has glass
of 1844; other fittings C19 or early C20.
RCHM II p. 275-7
Listing NGR: SP8521026102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings