This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.054 / 51°3'14"N
Longitude: -3.8215 / 3°49'17"W
OS Eastings: 272434
OS Northings: 129875
OS Grid: SS724298
Mapcode National: GBR L1.FZP8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26WB.H1K
Entry Name: Barn and Adjoining Farmbuilding Approximately 5 Metres to West of West Park Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398769
Location: North Molton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
Civil Parish: North Molton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: North Molton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
18/126 Barn and adjoining farmbuilding
- approximately 5 metres to west of
West Park Farmhouse
Barn and adjoining farmbuildings. Mid to late C19 with addition of c.1900.
Uncoursed stone rubble with gable-ended Welsh-slate roof, hipped over corner. Circa
1900 addition with red-brick dressings.
Plan: L-plan, consisting of range of shippons facing farmyard to south with barn
returning at right angles to rear of left-hand end. Circa 1900 stable with loft
above adjoining right-hand end. Two-storey shippon range.
Exterior: Left-hand range has loft openings with wooden lintels and ground-floor
windows and boarded doors with segmental stone-arched heads. Large boarded doors
off-centre to left. Two blocked doorways. Later addition to right has central
gabled semi dormer with boarded loft door and ground-floor 2-light window and 2
boarded doors, all with segmental brick-arched heads. Barn has cart entrance to west
with pair of sliding boarded doors, dressed-stone flat-arched head and shallow porch
with flanking projecting walls and eaves extended over. Boarded door to right with
stone flat-arched head. Small windows in apices of gable ends. Boarded door to
rear, opposite cart entrance. Former waterwheel pit at rear of right-hand end of
barn, with lean-to wheel house (wheel removed).
Interior of barn: six-bay C19 roof with bolted king-post trusses and pairs of
purlins. Some machinery formerly associated with waterwheel still remains, including
line shafting and belts. This is one of a small group of barns in the area which
formerly had water-driven threshing machinery (c.f. Flitton Barton).
Listing NGR: SS7243429875
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings