This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2689 / 52°16'7"N
Longitude: -0.3542 / 0°21'15"W
OS Eastings: 512401
OS Northings: 264686
OS Grid: TL124646
Mapcode National: GBR H1X.M8H
Mapcode Global: VHFPQ.T73J
Plus Code: 9C4X7J9W+G8
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 May 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399412
Location: Great Staughton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19
Civil Parish: Great Staughton
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Staughton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Tagged with: Church building
TL 1264 GREAT STAUGHTON THE TOWN
10/18 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Parish church. Late C13 chancel and part of north and south arcades, C14 north and
south aisles and south porch. Early C16 west tower, north vestry and north chapel.
The church is noteworthy for the monuments in the chancel and south aisle. Rubble and
pebblestone with Welson and Ketton stone ashlar to tower. Early C16 west tower,
embattled with crocketed pinnacles at corners and moulded main cornice with gargoyles.
Of 3 stages and bell stage with 4 stage angle buttressing and newel staircase in
south-west corner. Early C16 frieze with cusped panelling below main cornice and
above double splayed plinth. Early C16 fenestration, door and bell chamber openings.
Nave, plain tiled with embattled parapet. Each side of clerestorey with 5 C15 windows
(restored). C14 north and south aisles. C14 fenestration in south aisle, C15 in
north aisle. C14 south porch with C19 slate roof. Originally with sundial to gable
end. Inner archway 2-centred and of 2 moulded orders, each carried on attached shafts
with foliate capitals. C16 door of nail studded battens and ornamental lock plate.
C13 chancel with original south doorway and one lancet window in north wall. Two
C14 windows in south wall, one to east with low side. C15 east window of 5 cinque-
foil lights. North vestry dated 1526 and inscribed E NEL on parapet. North chapel,
also early C16. Embattled parapet and moulded string. Two early C16 cinquefoil
light windows. Interior. North and south arcades of 5 bays. Probably of late C13
origin but rebuilt in C15. Two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on round columns
with moulded capitals and bases. C19 nave roof on C15 corbels. Early C16 north chapel.
Vaulted and panelled recess in north wall. C15 chancel arch. Two-centred and of
2 chamfered orders, inner carried on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
Communion rail, late C17. Turned and twisted balusters with moulded rail. C13 font,
octagonal bowl on modern stem. Screen between tower arch and nave. Dated 1539 and
inscribed to Oliver Leder and Frances, his wife. Monuments. In chancel, north wall,
Early Cl7 and of coloured freestone. Two bays divided by Corinthian columns with
entablature. Sir James Deyer 1580, Margaret, his wife 1560; and Sir Richard Deyer 1605
and Marie his wife, 1601 erected by Sir William Deyer. On south wall. Late C17 white
marble cartouche to Christopher and Mar , infant children of John Conyers. White marble
panel to Sarah, wife of John Spencer and Sarah, their daughter, 1632. In north chapel.
Black marble and alabaster altar tomb to Sir James Beverley, 1670. South aisle, south
wall. Large wall monument of partly painted freestone to Sir George Wanton, 1606,
erected by Sir Oliver Cromwell.
RCHM (Bunts) mon (1), p 248.
VCH (Hunts) Vol II, p 354.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p 255.
Listing NGR: TL1240164686
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings