This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0362 / 52°2'10"N
Longitude: -1.861 / 1°51'39"W
OS Eastings: 409631
OS Northings: 237540
OS Grid: SP096375
Mapcode National: GBR 3M6.B9D
Mapcode Global: VHB17.P2JW
Entry Name: Lygon Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399367
Location: Broadway, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR12
Civil Parish: Broadway
Built-Up Area: Broadway
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Broadway
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
This list entry as subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/12/2017
HIGH STREET (north side)
Lygon Arms Hotel
(Formerly listed as Nos 28 and 30 (Lygon Arms Hotel) HIGH STREET)
Hotel. Early C17, restored early C20, and extended 1910 by C E Bateman. Squared limestone with roof of stone slate and Welsh slate.
Three storeys with attic. Facade has two outer projecting gabled wings and two gables to recessed centre. Windows are rebated and chamfered with mullions; all except those to the attic have transoms. Many of the windows are early C20 restorations replacing sashes. The left-hand (west) cross-wing has four-light windows on the ground and first floors, a third-light third floor window and a two-light attic window. Below the left-hand central gable there are two two-light windows on each floor, except the attic, which has a single three-light window. The right-hand gable is similar except that on the ground floor there is a three-light window to the right of a doorway. The right-hand cross-wing has two two-light windows on each floor, except the attic which has one two-light window. The doorway has an elliptical head and is flanked by tapering pilasters. Above the cornice are finials and carved strapwork. The frieze also has strapwork decoration and is inscribed with the date "1620", and the names of John and Ursula Treavis. Chimneys to each side of right-hand central gable have diagonal caps. Chimneys to each side of left-hand gabled wing have square caps.
At the right are additions by Bateman. The dining room is lit by two bays windows: the left-hand one canted and with a parapet, the right-hand one square and gabled. Between them is a window of two trefoiled lights. At the right is a projecting wing which has mullioned windows, and a moulded doorway at the left with canted head. Adjoining to the right is a former house, probably C18, and incorporated into the hotel in the early C20. It is of two bays and has windows with plain reveals except for the ground floor one at the right which is C20 and mullioned and transomed. It has two attic dormers, a blocked central chamfered doorway, and gable copings and chimneys. At the rear is a wing of 1907 and 1911, with gables and mullioned windows.
Interior: timber-framed partition walls and some exposed ceiling beams. To the left of the entrance is a former kitchen with wide inglenook fireplace. To the right of the entrance is a room which has a fireplace with canted head and is lined with square panelling from Babington Hall in Denby. The dining room, by Bateman, has a ribbed plaster barrel vault, an east gallery reached by a re-used C17 stair, and a stone fireplace removed from a house at Abbey Church. On the first floor is the Cromwell Room, on the east side of the main block. It has a fireplace with canted head, Corinthian pilasters and strapwork carving, and an ornamented plaster frieze and ceiling. The walls are lined with square panelling. A room to its west has similar panelling, a fireplace with canted head, and a plastered beam with vine-scroll decoration.
(Russell & Son, The Story of An Old English Hostelry, 4th ed, 1929).
Listing NGR: SP0963137540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings