History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braunston-in-Rutland, Rutland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6507 / 52°39'2"N

Longitude: -0.7708 / 0°46'14"W

OS Eastings: 483254

OS Northings: 306592

OS Grid: SK832065

Mapcode National: GBR CRQ.XL7

Mapcode Global: WHFKN.4M7S

Plus Code: 9C4XM62H+7M

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400015

Location: Braunston-in-Rutland, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Braunston-in-Rutland

Built-Up Area: Braunston-in-Rutland

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Braunston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Knossington

Description


SK 80 NW BRAUNSTON CEDAR STREET (West side)

1/35 Church of All Saints

14.6.54

GV II*


Medieval Parish Church, largely perpendicular externally but with some C12
work within. W. tower, nave with aisles and vestry and chancel W. tower
is possibly C14, ashlar and of 3 stages and buttressed. Foiled lights to
bell chamber with heavy hoodmould to corbel heads. Small parapet with
gargoyles. Incised stone dated 1615. Small west door with window over. Nave,
clerestory and chancel are of coursed squared rubble. The square headed
windows are a C19 restoration of perpendicular features. A single earlier
lancet survives in the chancel. Slight parapet to clerestory. C14 south porch
contains the C12 S. door: Slender shafts with foliate capitals support long
abaci above which the outer arch has a cross pattern, and there are 2 roll
moulded inner arches, but no tympanum. N. aisle appears to be a different
build from the rest, and is almost ashlar with blocked door. Victorian
vestry to N. of chancel.

Inside the nave is of 3 bays, the S-arcade being the earliest, probably
early C13. Round piers on high bases with larger round abaci and double
chamfered round arched arcade. N. arcade possibly late C14, with octagonal
piers and abaci. Perpendicular clerestory and aisle windows: the eastern
most of the N. aisle is set in a taller embrasure with stone seating. Nave
roof has cambered trusses. Traces of painting in S. aisle. Chancel arch
has C12 shafts with wall capitals, the arch itself rather later. Perpendicular
chancel windows have early C20 stained glass.

The font is C12 or C13,square with shafts at angles with slightly decorated
capitals.


Listing NGR: SK8325406592

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.