This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9346 / 51°56'4"N
Longitude: -1.034 / 1°2'2"W
OS Eastings: 466511
OS Northings: 226670
OS Grid: SP665266
Mapcode National: GBR 9YF.PDL
Mapcode Global: VHDTG.1M7T
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400029
Location: Twyford, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Twyford
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Twyford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 62 NE TWYFORD CHURCH LANE
3/133 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. C12 S. doorway. C13 nave arcades. N. aisle and
chancel. C14 W. tower, altered C15. C15 S. aisle S. porch and
clerestory, altered C16. Restored C19. Coursed rubble stone.
Tiled roof to nave, slates to chancel, lead to aisles.
Perpendicular tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded
plinth, battlemented parapet, and 2-light openings to bell-
chamber. Addtional single lights to W. and E. W. side has
moulded 4-centred arch with restored flat hoodmould, and 3-light
window above. N. and S. sides enclosed by aisles. Nave has
clerestory of 4 2-light windows, Perpendicular to N, C16 to S.
S. aisle has parapet, 3-light Perpendicular windows to W. and to
right of porch, and 2 ironstone windows with Y tracery, that to
left with nailhead ornament on hoodmould. E. window is 3-light
Decorated, altered. Fine C12 S. doorway has round arch with
chevron and beakhead ornament, carved imposts, shafts with
carved figure caps, and jambs with sun motifs. S. porch dated
1619 and 1833 has battlemented parapet with ogee niche to centre,
and shallow pointed archway. Narrow N. aisle has low wide
chamfered doorway, 2-light windows, one with Y tracery, and single
cusped window to W. Vestry at E. end is C19. Chancel has
battlemented parapet, small door with Caernarvon arch to N.,
3-light Decorated window with ogee tracery to E., similar 2-
light and Perpendicular 3-light windows to S. Interior: W. tower
has 2-centred chamfered arches to nave and aisles. Nave has 4
bays of double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with moulded
caps, and fine C15 roof with cusped trusses on carved head corbels.
N. aisle has 2-light traceried window in E. wall with round arch
over. S. aisle has braced tie beams on carved head corbels.
S. wall has 2 small niches to E. and restored ogee tomb recess
with carved columnar figure to centre. Restored chancel arch
has chevron and triangular ornament. S. wall of chancel has ogee S. wall of chancel has ogee
piscina on half-column, and triple sedilia with round arches
flanking central ogee. C16 roof with moulded tie beams. Fittings:
C12 font much restored 1877, with 4 columns to base; C15 doors;
C15 benches with tretoiled finials to ends, C15 screen with pierced
quatrefoils, upper part restored; C17 pulpit; other fittings C19.
Monuments: brass to John Everdon, priest, 1416 in chancel; S. aisle
has stone effigy of cross-legged knight and altered table tomb with
brass to Thomas Giffard 1550; elaborate late C17 wall monument to
Wenman family against E. wall of S. aisle with similar flanking
RCHM II pp. 302-306.
Listing NGR: SP6650926672
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings