This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4633 / 51°27'47"N
Longitude: -1.0728 / 1°4'22"W
OS Eastings: 464506
OS Northings: 174224
OS Grid: SU645742
Mapcode National: GBR B45.CKL
Mapcode Global: VHCZ9.CH62
Plus Code: 9C3WFW7G+8V
Entry Name: Church of St. Nicholas
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399801
Location: Sulham, West Berkshire, RG8
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Sulham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Pangbourne with Tidmarsh and Sulham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SW
NUNHIDE LANE (east side)
Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Dated 1838 on porch, apse and vestry dated 1875. Lancet style. Flint with Bath stone dressings. Stone coped parapeted gable ends and corbelled eaves to slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, polygonal apse, north porch and south vestry.
Tower: three stages with angle buttresses, parapet and square corner pinnacles. Paired louvred lancets on each face of bellstage with quatrefoils in timber tympana. Large lancet to west on second stage with hood mould, carved stops, and blank circular panel above; small lancets to north and south with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Boarded south door.
Nave: three bays, lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Two lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops flanking tower at west end. Gabled north porch in western bay with angle buttresses, cornice and coped parapet. Three steps with low flanking walls to boarded door.
Chancel: two bays, lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Three sided polygonal apse, triple stepped lancets to east with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and lancets on flanking faces.
Vestry: gabled with date in quatrefoil panel. Two-light window with quatrefoil plate tracery and returned hoodmould, lean-to to left with Caernarvon arched boarded door. Boarded door at east end with decorative gabled timber porch.
Interior: nave: three bay hammerbeam roof with double purlins and arch bracing. Tower arch to west and three arch Early English style stone chancel screen. Chancel: two bay arched braced roof, vaulted apse. Aumbry to north and piscina to south. Large arch for organ to south, flanked by two vestry doors. Fittings include; bowl font of 1733 on C19 shaft, C19 pulpit, C19 wrought iron communion rails, and C19 reredos. Wall paintings in nave and ceiling paintings in chancel and apse. Various Wilder monuments. Model of church as originally built in vestry. Tower removed in 1959.
Listing NGR: SU6450674224
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings