This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0582 / 52°3'29"N
Longitude: -0.9623 / 0°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 471245
OS Northings: 240491
OS Grid: SP712404
Mapcode National: GBR BY9.X4Q
Mapcode Global: VHDSX.8JNJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215187
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400237
Location: Lillingstone Lovell, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Lillingstone Lovell
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 74 SW LILLINGSTONE LOVELL MAIN STREET
1/76 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Rebuilt mid C14 retaining some early C13
features. Restored C19. Rubble stone, tiled roofs. W. tower has
plain early C13 lower stage with Decorated openings to bell-chamber
and saddleback roof above. S. wall of nave has narrow clerestory
of C19 2-light windows. S. aisle has parapet, two Decorated windows,
3-light with reticulated tracery to E. end and 2-light to left of
porch and one Perpendicular window with three uncusped lights to
right. Early C13 S. doorway with moulded arch on double order of
shafts with waterleaf caps. Porch 1639. Chancel has Decorated
windows, 2-light to S., reticulated 3-light to E. N. aisle widens
into chapel with vestry in angle and has 2-light Decorated windows.
Interior: steeply pointed arch to tower. Nave arcades of three
bays have C14 double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with
moulded caps, ending on carved head corbels to W., S. arcade has
clerestory in spandrels, N. arcade has hatchments. S. aisle has
chapel with squint to chancel, double traceried piscina and sedile.
N. aisle has organ. Double-chamfered arch on corbels to wide
chancel. Whole interior stripped of plaster and restored C19.
Fittings: chancel has early C18 communion rails with turned
balusters, reredos panels of similar date 'with Our Farther and
Credo' in surround of Doric pilasters and entablature, and C17 chair.
Pulpit has C17 arcaded panels restored on early C19 base. Box
pews, modern font. Monuments : brasses to William Risley and wife
1516 in nave, to Thomas Clarell and family 1471 and brass of
bleeding heart to John Merstun 1446 in chancel. N. aisle has
three fine wall monuments to Cresswell family, two dated 1768 and
1784, with obelisks and urns in coloured marbles. Chancel has late
C17-early C18 cartouches, and wall monument to Colonel J.B. Delap
1853 by E. Davis with figured relief in white marble.
RCHM II pp 170-2
Listing NGR: SP7124740490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings