This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0104 / 52°0'37"N
Longitude: -0.9722 / 0°58'20"W
OS Eastings: 470638
OS Northings: 235166
OS Grid: SP706351
Mapcode National: GBR BYW.T78
Mapcode Global: VHDT3.3QCN
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400238
Location: Maids Moreton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Maids Moreton
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St Edmund
Parish Church. C15, restored late C19 and mid C20. Coursed
rubble stone, lead roofs. Perpendicular. W. tower, nave, N. and S.
porches, and chancel with 1882 vestry to S. W. tower: three stages,
diagonal off-set buttresses, projecting stair turret to N.W. W.
side has moulded doorway under battlemented canopy on fan supports,
4-light window above. Deeply recessed paired lights through top two
stages with broad triangular mullions to centre and elaborately
cusped single arch above. Battlemented parapet. Nave: has
parapet, off-set buttresses and three bays of large transomed 3-light
windows. N. porch has battlemented parapet with trefoiled panels,
buttresses and corner gargoyles. Perpendicular arched doorway has
1637 door with carved panels and turned baluster ornament to
tympanum and lintel. Interior: has two bays of fan vaulting on
slim shafts, stone seats and C15 door with carved panels in double
moulded arch, the outer arch cusped. S. porch has plain parapet with
small central ogee niche and moulded doorway with carved angel heads
to label stops. Fan vaulted. Chancel has wide 5-light E. window and
3-light windows to N. and S. N. side also has small moulded
doorway and 2-light window to W.
INTERIOR: tower has fan vault on
carved angel corbels. Nave has mullions continued below windows to
form wall panels, stone seats, and tall recessed panels over doors.
Tall moulded pointed arches to tower and chancel. Original roof,
restored, with moulded beams, traceried spandrels and carved bosses.
Chancel has similar wall panels and roof. Triple sedilia to S. wall
has much restored elaborate canopy with ogee arches and finials,
and painting of Last Supper on rear wall. C12 round font basin
with scalloped ornament. C15 chancel screen with traceried panels
and carved half-figures of angels at each end. Altar table 1623 with
elaborately carved cup-and-cover legs. C18 bread box. Some
C15 glass in top tracery panels of E. and W. windows. Remaining
glass and fittings C19. C17 painted cartouche above N. door
commemorating two daughters of Lord Peovre as founders of the
church. 1890 replacements of brasses to the same below. Marble
wall monument to Edward and Penelope Bate 1717 in chancel with
Corinthian columns and open segmental pediment.
RCHM II pp 184-7
Listing NGR: SP7063835168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings