This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2884 / 52°17'18"N
Longitude: -2.1641 / 2°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 388904
OS Northings: 265595
OS Grid: SO889655
Mapcode National: GBR 1F1.KPH
Mapcode Global: VH928.FRS3
Plus Code: 9C4V7RQP+99
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 March 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400567
Location: Hampton Lovett, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Hampton Lovett
Built-Up Area: Hampton Lovett
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Hampton Lovett
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 86 NE;
HAMPTON LOVETT CP,
Church of St Mary
Parish church. Early C12 with C14 to C16 alterations and additions; restoration of 1858-1859. Sandstone ashlar, tile roof. C12 nave, C16 south porch with tower over, C14 chancel, north (St Anne's) chapel built circa 1474, rebuilt 1561 for the Pakingtons.
Tower and porch: four stages, crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses; belfry (top) stage: two-light windows with quatrefoil over ,first and second have square headed windows; ground floor: porch has outer doorway with double chamfered two-centred head, inner doorway of two moulded continuous orders.
Nave: two bays; south wall: west bay occupied by porch and tower, east bay has late C14 window of two lights under two-centred head; west wall rebuilt 1858-1859, jambs of window reset, tracery restored in C14 style, three lights; north wall: two-light late C14 window to west, roughly central, a blocked C12 north door with semicircular head and shafts with cushion capitals; set in jambs continued up to eaves as pilaster buttresses; east bay occupied by north chapel: almost entirely of 1561,with north vestry of 1858-1859 flanked by two reset windows of c1414, of two and three cinquefoil headed lights under square heads; east window of 1561 with five Tudor arched lights under a square head. Chancel: angle buttresses, south wall partially C12,of two bays, two early C15 two-light windows under square heads, blocked priests door between them; east window: late C14 with three trefoil headed lights.
INTERIOR: chancel arch of early C14, two-centred with two orders continuous down jambs; two-centred arch from nave to north chapel of 1858-9; early C15 arch between chancel and north chapel, four-centred head of two orders; piscina in south wall of chancel with trefoil head.
Roofs: nave: C16 restored 1858-1859, four bays with moulded, cambered tie beams, two queen struts (no collar) and moulded purlins; an earlier, crenellated, beam is embedded in the wall above the chancel arch; chancel: four-bay wooden barrel vault of 1858-1859; north chapel: five-bay arch-braced collar roof of 1858-1859.
Fittings: chancel: chest tomb of Sir John Pakington, died 1551,set in north wall, with much restored canopy above; nave: wall memorial to Henry Hammond, died 1660, framed by Corinthian columns, armorial bearing above, signed by Joshua Marshall of London; north chapel: memorial to Sir John Pakington, reclining effigy on chest tomb with wall tablet behind, signed by J Rose of London.
Glass: some fragments of armorial glass of 1561 in north window of nave; chancel east window by John Hardman. Font: C19 octagonal bowl on C14 moulded octagonal base.
Listing NGR: SO8890465593
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings