History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorndon, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2833 / 52°16'59"N

Longitude: 1.1388 / 1°8'19"E

OS Eastings: 614196

OS Northings: 269661

OS Grid: TM141696

Mapcode National: GBR TJZ.SWC

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.PVFZ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281378

Location: Thorndon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thorndon

Built-Up Area: Thorndon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thorndon with Rishangles All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 16 NW
3/97 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1870. Nave, chancel, south tower, north
vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Remains of render to nave.
Continuous slated roof. Early C14 3-stage square tower with angle buttresses
to south. Base of tower forms a porch: to the south, a doorway with 4
continuous chamfers; above is a trefoil-headed niche and above this a single
lancet window. Belfry openings with missing Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet
rebuilt in random brick. Nave has early C13 core with original north and
south doorways; immediately in front of the south doorway is a larger 2-centre
arched opening, contemporary with the tower. North and south nave each have 3
identical windows in Perpendicular style, mostly renewed C19 but 2 to north
partly original. West end of nave has C15 work: buttresses with flushwork
panels and stone shields; enriched doorway with shield-carved spandrels. 4-
light west window of late C19. Chancel has mainly C19 windows in
Perpendicular style but the north west window, with mask label stops, is
original. C19 4-light east window with Geometrical tracery. South chancel
has 2 enriched C15 buttresses similar to those at west end of nave, a C15
Priest's doorway and a low tomb recess at the west end. Interior. A coupled
rafter roof of 1870 extends over both nave and chancel. No proper chancel
arch; at entrance to chancel an arch is formed by a pair of C19 timber braces
resting on angel corbels. Chancel windows are hoodmoulded, with mutilated
carved stops. Splays of nave windows have moulded surrounds. Rood stair in
north east nave. Cusped ogee piscina in south east chancel; drop-sill sedilia
adjacent. C15 octagonal font has well-preserved carving, the bowl panels with
alternate lions and shield-bearing angels. Pulpit has restored early C17
carved panels and a bracketed bookboard. Seating and reredos of c.1870. In
north nave doorway the Arms of George IV dated 1822. 2 brass inscriptions
(1599, 1610) to members of the Grimston family of Rishangles Lodge are re-set
in the nave walls.

Listing NGR: TM1419669661

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.