This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.415 / 50°24'54"N
Longitude: -3.7218 / 3°43'18"W
OS Eastings: 277764
OS Northings: 58655
OS Grid: SX777586
Mapcode National: GBR QK.G9K4
Mapcode Global: FRA 372Y.RVG
Plus Code: 9C2RC78H+27
Entry Name: Vine House
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101325
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harberton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
14/421 Vine House
House, said to have been the poor house. Dated 1764. Local slate rubble and
metamorphic stone rubble with brick window arches. Grouted scantle slate
roof with gabled end and hipped corner. Some early crested ridge tiles.
Rendered gable end chimney stacks.
Plan: Overall L-shaped single depth plan; possibly originally a pair of
houses, one with a central entrance in the shorter south wing which was
probably a 2-room plan. The north east wing was probably another 2-room
plan house with a central entrance and a later rear outshut.
Exterior: Two storeys and attic. South front: regular 2-window range
disposed towards the left. Late C19 or early C20 2-light casements in
original openings with segmental brick arches with keystones. Central
doorway with late C19 glazed porch with corner shafts and decorative timber
cresting of a sort of fleur-de-lis pattern. Round stone plaque at centre
of-first storey with date 1764 in red brick surround. Two flat roof
North east, right return: regular 4-window range, closer spaced to right,
similar casements, first floor with horizontal glazing bars, all in original
openings with segmental brick arches with keystones. Doorway to right of
centre with rusticated rendered surround with keyblock and late c19 glazed
and panelled door.
Interior: Some of the ground floor partitions have been removed but the
roof is probably the original with the collars nailed to the faces of the
Listing NGR: SX7776558652
Other nearby listed buildings