History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

E Smith General Stores

A Grade II Listed Building in Stilton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4895 / 52°29'22"N

Longitude: -0.2897 / 0°17'23"W

OS Eastings: 516220

OS Northings: 289333

OS Grid: TL162893

Mapcode National: GBR GZ8.ZGX

Mapcode Global: VHGL1.XPPC

Plus Code: 9C4XFPQ6+R4

Entry Name: E Smith General Stores

Listing Date: 11 August 1988

Last Amended: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401229

Location: Stilton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stilton

Built-Up Area: Stilton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stilton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Stilton

Description

In the entry for-
STILTON CHURCH STREET
(South side)

10/50 E Smith General
Stores

The address and the description shall be amended to read

TL 1689 STILTON CHURCH STREET
(North side)
10/50 E Smith General
Stores
Fourth sentence of the description shall be amended to read

"Pantiled roof........."

------------------------------------

STILTON CHURCH STREET
TL 1689
(South Side)
10/50 E Smith General
Stores

II

House and shop. Early C18 with early and later C19 alterations. Yellow and
red local brick. Plain tiled roof with parapet gables and end stacks.
Original two storeys raised to three storeys and attic with rear outshut, shop
alteration mid to late C19. Central house doorway with four-panelled door and
rectangular fanlight with margin glazing bars. To right hand double, glazed
shop doors recessed and central to flat roofed segmental plan shop windows
with original glazing bars, plain frieze and cornice with E SMITH in standing
letters above. Interior: early C19 plastered ceiling with roundels and
quarters to corners, C18 cornice, C19 staircase in outshut, C18 raised and
fielded panelled doors and C19 four-panelled doors. The house is said to have
been occupied by a French general who employed French plasterers.


Listing NGR: TL1622089333

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.