This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4045 / 50°24'16"N
Longitude: -3.8126 / 3°48'45"W
OS Eastings: 271286
OS Northings: 57641
OS Grid: SX712576
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PY15
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XZ.DHL
Entry Name: Black Hall
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101368
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
4/456 Black Hall
Country house. Circa 1820s possibly by R Brown of London for Hubert
Cornish on the site of an earlier house. Extended in 1881 for Frederick
James Cornish Bowden. Stuccoed stone rubble, the front and right hand side
have been roughcast and lined out. Hipped roof behind the parapet.
Rendered stacks. To the right of centre a tent shaped cupola with a
Plan: Square on plan facing south; 3 rooms deep with 2 principal front
rooms and a central entrance hall/passage leading to the stair well to the
left of centre. There are small rooms to the right and left of the stair
well and 2 larger rooms at the back, both with a slightly higher floor
level to allow for the kitchen and bakehouse in the basement below which
has external from the rear (north) where the ground is at a much lower
level; the servants' hall is also in the basement to the right and there
are cellars under the front rooms containing the dairy etc. In 1881 the
house was extended on the left hand (west) side, set back from the front,
probably servants' rooms with its own staircase.
Exterior: 2 storeys and basement attic windows at the side only.
Symmetrical 5 window front with a pair of giant pilasters at either end of
only two thirds height with a Doric entablature over which there are 2
small pilasters supporting the main cornice which breaks forward over the
pilasters; the blocking course rises at the centre with a rectangular
panel. The windows are large early C19 12-pane sashes with plain cills. A
wide central doorway with a glazed door and side lights, the door is flush
panelled and reeded below and has margin lights above and a rectangular
overlight across the top with a cast iron anthelion decorated grille. The
original porch has been replaced in C20 by an open porch with 2 pairs of
Doric columns supporting an entablature.
The right hand east return is 2 storeys and attic, also symmetrical 3
windows disposed towards the right (back), C19 12-pane sashes, attic
windows are smaller 6-pane sashes, ground floor left a C19 glazed garden
door; the corners have giant pilasters, paired to the left as at the front,
and a wide band at first floor cill level.
The rear elevation is 2 storeys and basement not quite symmetrical as the
ground slopes to the left and the first floor right hand windows are at
higher level. The first and second floor windows are C19 12-pane sashes,
the basement sashes have 20 panes.
The 1881 addition on the left hand (west) side, set back from the front, is
built of yellow brick with a corbelled brick eaves cornice and a hipped
slate roof with lead rolls and finials; asymmetrical arrangement of sash
windows and an oriel with a step hipped roof and finial.
Interior: Entrance hall/passage has an egg and dart cornice and coving to
scrolled ceiling boarder; and elliptical arch with a groin vault at the end
of the passage with an egg and dart archivolt key motif introdes and fluted
pilasters. The passage leads to a very fine stair well, almost oval on
plan, the geometric staircase has stick balusters and a moulded mahogany
handrail wreathed over the curtail, and with shaped tread ends; the first
stage of the stairwell has round-headed niches with egg and dart mouldings;
the stairwell has an elliptical vault with moulded ribs and very pretty
shallow domed lantern with an acanthus leaf boss, the entablature of the
dome has an anthelion frieze, egg and dart cornice and key motif soffit
Most of the interior joinery survives including mahogany 6-panel doors.
The drawing room to front left has a fine cornice with deep relief
palmettes, the ceiling border has leaves and flowers and the centrepiece
has palmettes and large swirling acanthus leaves; a white marble
chimneypiece with slender detached Ionic columns, panelled window shutters
are intact. The dining room to the front right has a Victorian moulded
plaster ceiling and a Victorian local grey marble chimneypiece. The back
room to the left (morning room?) has a moulded plaster cornice with
anthelion egg and dart and bead and reel, the centrepiece with acanthus
leaves; the panelled window shutters are intact.
The first floor rooms have coved ceilings and moulded cornices. The
kitchen in the basement is complete with 2 large fireplaces and cupboards.
Note: From the mid C17 Black Hall was the seat of the Fowells of
Fowellscombe their main seat in Ugborough parish (qv) and now in ruins. In
1815 Black Hall was sold to Hubert Cornish who built the present house,
landscaped the grounds and constructed the small estate village of Avon
Wick; estate cottages, houses and lodges etc are also included in this
Listing NGR: SX7128657641
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings