This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0708 / 52°4'14"N
Longitude: 0.6771 / 0°40'37"E
OS Eastings: 583581
OS Northings: 244765
OS Grid: TL835447
Mapcode National: GBR QH2.40S
Mapcode Global: VHJHM.P6BV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 June 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411358
Location: Foxearth, Braintree, Essex, CO10
Civil Parish: Foxearth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Foxearth St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 84 SW FOXEARTH THE STREET
4/102 Church of St. Peter
21.6.62 and St. Paul
Parish Church. Nave of uncertain date. Circa 1350 the North aisle was added
and Chancel rebuilt. Circa 1450 North Aisle was widened and North Chapel added.
The Chancel arch may have been removed at this time. West tower circa 1862.
South porch late C19. Much restoration carried out late C19. Walls of coursed
flint, stone dressed. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel East window circa 1350
of 3 lights with ogee heads, leaf tracery over in a two-centred head. Stone
parapet verge. South wall, east window circa 1450 2 lights with tracery in
segmental pointed head. Chamfered label. C19 western window of 3 lights with
tracery under a segmental pointed head. Internal details of C15. There is a
C19 doorway with 2 centred head between these windows. Between the Chancel
and Nave is a chamfered and moulded beam, possibly C15 on curved brackets over
which is a plastered and painted infill. Roof of 3 bays, possibly c1350, single
hammerbeam with angels on the hammers. Painted and gilt, probably by J. Clark
c.1885. North Aisle North wall has 5 windows of 3 ogee lights with tracery
over, east window of 3 lights in segmental head. West window of 2 lights with
segmental pointed head. Crenellated and with crocketed pinnacles. 5
buttresses. 2 centred-arch doorway. Plank and muntin door. Nave Eastern
window of 3 ogee lights with tracery over in segmental heads. C19 2 light
window with centre transom and tracery over in pointed segmental head. All
windows with remnant circa 1450 rear arches and splays. North arcade circa 1350
of 4 bays with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders. C15 lean-to roof with
moulded timbers, curved brackets with carved spandrels to principals. The
feet of wall posts carved with foliage or faces. Nave roof, possibly circa
1340. Arched braces from wall pieces to raised ties with straight braces to
collars above. Of 4 bays. Crenellated wall plates, painted and gilt, probably
circa 1885. South Porch late C19 of matching materials. 2 centred arch
doorway. 2 centre-arch porch opening of 2 orders, one foliated, the shafts with
moulded bases and foliate capitals. Stone gable coping with angel corbels.
Cross to apex. Statue above doorway. West Tower Crenellated. Circa 1862.
Flint flushwork. Stone dressed buttresses to belfry height. Belfry with 5
louvred cusped lancet openings to each face. Angled stair tower to south east
with hipped stone roof and lancet lights. Centre band with memorial inscription
to Margaret Foster D.1861. Built 1862. Clock to North, South and West faces
with moulded semi-circular labels and foliate and gargoyle stops. 2 lancet
windows under clock to west face. West window with intersecting tracery,
quatrefoil over. Label with foliate stops. Two centred tower arch. Lower area
of tower lined with coloured mosaic. Upper area painted. Painted organ. Early
C16 screen between Chancel and Nave with 6 original panels on each side of
doorway with traceried heads and quatrefoils at base. Painted, named figure of
a saint in each panel. C19 traceried screen over. Font C19 octagonal carved
stone on octagonal stem. Cover carved and crocketed timber spire with pelican
on nest. Ornately carved eagle Lectern. Pulpit, octagonal with spiral stairs.
Painted ogee head panels. C19 carved choir stalls. Reredos of 5 painted panels
with 7 traceried panels over. 10 carved and painted panels to right and left.
Piscina C15 with hollow chamfered jambs and cinquefoiled head.
Listing NGR: TL8358144765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings