This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9963 / 50°59'46"N
Longitude: -0.7703 / 0°46'13"W
OS Eastings: 486388
OS Northings: 122598
OS Grid: SU863225
Mapcode National: GBR DDV.J1J
Mapcode Global: FRA 968G.XCK
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 18 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412087
Location: Stedham with Iping, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Stedham with Iping
Built-Up Area: Stedham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Stedham with Iping
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 8638 2259
STEDHAM WITH IPING
The Parish Church of St James
Parish church. Tower dated 1673 but church dating from 1040 was demolished and replaced by the present structure in 1850 by Joseph Butler of Chichester in Gothic style. Built of Hythe sandstone with shingled roof to tower and 20th Century tiled roof to remainder. South east tower, four bay nave with north aisle and south porch and two bay chancel with organ chamber to south. EXTERIOR: South east tower is of three stages and has galleting and tapers to the top. Shingled spire with weathervane. South side has stone mullioned windows, east and west sides have arched openings with 17th Century studded plank door to west. Nave has lancet windows and gabled south porch with carved bargeboards and the south wall incorporates three stones ornamented with crosses from the earlier church.
INTERIOR: Tower has beam with two inch chamfer and lambs tongue stops. Three bells of 1618, one of 1719, one of 1741 and last of 1897. Nave has south arcade with pointed arches on circular columns with plain mouldings and roof of kingpost type. Circular stone font, hexagonal pulpit and boxpews. Wall monument to Rev. Thomas Wrench d.1778, draped urn with two oval medallions below, Vitruvian scroll and central plaque with blank oval. Tablet to Richard Ayling d.1785, obelisk, oval plaque framed by wheat ear drops and palm fronds. Also ceramic plaque to Robert Cooke Brill, Rector d. 1917. Late 19th Century stained glass and one grisaille panel. Chancel has carved choir stalls and communion rails with trefoil pattern.
1850 Church not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SU8638822598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings