History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hucknall, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0391 / 53°2'20"N

Longitude: -1.2058 / 1°12'21"W

OS Eastings: 453346

OS Northings: 349381

OS Grid: SK533493

Mapcode National: GBR 8GJ.FZ2

Mapcode Global: WHDGC.GW02

Plus Code: 9C5W2QQV+JM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 12 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410903

Location: Hucknall Central, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG15

County: Nottinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Hucknall Central

Built-Up Area: Hucknall

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hucknall Torkard Team

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(west side)
7/55 Church of St. Mary
G.V. 11*
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, south aisle 1872 by Evans and
Jolly; north and south transepts 1887 by R. C. Clarke; Lady
Chapel restored, 1919; tower restored 1925. Coursed and squared
rubble and ashlar. Plain tile, lead and copper roofs. Ashlar
dressings. Chamfered plinths and string courses, moulded eaves,
coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave with clerestory,
north and south aisles, south porch, north and south transepts,
Lady chapel, chancel. West tower, late C12, raised C14, 3
stages, has corner pilasters, coved eaves and crenellated parapet
with 4 pinnacles. Remains of 2 gargoyles. North and south sides
have each a buttress. First stage has to south, a lancet. To
west, restored and partly blocked C13 triple lancet with hood
mould. To its left, C20 gabled shed. Second stage has on each
side a paired lancet, C13, with rounded mullion. Third stage has
on each side, clock, 1884, and above it, louvred C14 double
lancet with Y tracery. Nave clerestory has on each side 3 C13
style lancets with shafts, hood moulds and intermediate
pilasters. East gable has traceried round window. North aisle
west end has C15 style triple lancet with panel tracery. North
side has 3 buttresses. Off-centre C13 blocked door, flanked to
left by 2 and to right by single C15 style double lancets with
panel tracery. South aisle, 5 bays, has 5 buttresses. West end
has C15 style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has
porch flanked by 2 similar lancets. South porch, C14, rebuilt
1872, has south gable with jowled posts and arch braces, carrying
braced king post. West side has small light. East side has
mullioned opening. Interior has remains of stone benches and
common rafter roof. Inner doorway C13 has C17 weather stripped
C13 door with C18 furniture. Buttressed north and south
transepts, 3 bays, have C14 style cusped lancets with Decorated
tracery, hood moulds and stops. North transept has on each side
2 double lancets. North gable has central moulded door and
above, 5 light lancet. South transept east side has 3 and south
side has 2 double lancets. South gable has central moulded
doorway and above, 5 light lancet. Lady Chapel, rebuilt 1888, 2
bays, has to north 2 buttresses and 2 double lancets, C14, with
intersecting tracery. East end has a similar triple lancet and
tablet, 1919, referring to redesignation as Memorial Chapel.
Chancel, rebuilt 1887, 3 bays, has 2 pairs of gabled corner
buttresses at east end, and datestone, 1887. Above, 5 light
lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has off-centre
blocked door, C14, flanked by a double and a triple lancet, with
intersecting tracery. Tower arch, early C13, double chamfered
and rebated, has half-round imposts with moulded capitals.
Stained glass west window. Nave north and south arcades, 3 bays,
rebuilt 1887, have each octagonal piers and double chamfered
rebated arches. South arcade has angel corbel to east.
Clerestory has C13 style lancets with shafts. Scissor braced
roof. North and south aisles have moulded lean-to roofs with
arch braces. North aisle west end has moulded door. North side
has 2 late C19 mosaics and 2 stained glass windows. South aisle
has at west end, Baptistry with moulded arch, with responds,
wrought iron screen and panelled walls. South side has window
with fragments of C15 glass. West end has C19 stained glass
window. South aisle south side has stained glass windows, 1890
and late C19, and mosaic panel above south door. North and south
transepts have each a moulded arch with shafts on angel corbels.
That to north has mid C20 glazed wooden screen. Scissor braced
roofs similar to nave. Most windows have stained glass by Kempe.
Lady Chapel has inscribed traceried wooden screen. North side
has 2 stained glass windows, 1919, by Gascoigne, and east end has
a similar window. South side has re-set C13 piscina. To its
right, 2 bay arcade with crested traceried memorial screen.
Lean-to roof similar to aisles. Chancel has moulded arch with
triple shaft imposts on corbels. Above it, traceried stained
glass round window. North side has 2 bay arcade, C13, with
octagonal pier and responds and chamfered arches. East end has
panelling incorporating square aumbry and stained glass window,
1883. South side has C13 piscina and sedilia with C20 crest and
surround. Above, 2 stained glass windows, 1888. Painted scissor
braced roof with bracketed wall plate. Fittings include plain
octagonal font, C14, brass eagle lectern, C19, and panelled
square oak pulpit, 1906. 2 chests, C17 and C18. C18 oak table.
C19 stalls and desks with scrolled ends. C19 benches. Memorials
include large draped oval marble tablet with Arms and urn, to
Richard, Lord Byron, 1679. Egyptian style marble and slate
tablet and portrait medallion signed 'John Adams', 1824. Inlaid
marble floor slab, 1881, and 3 marble wall tablets inscribed
'Opinions of eminent men of Byron,' all to George Gordon Noel
Byron, the poet. C14 style wall tablet, 1852, to Augusta, and
floor brass, 1822, to Allegra, daughters of the poet. Panel with
Byron Arms on sill. Marble and slate wall tablets, 1777, 1805,
1821, 1861. Hatchment, C18. 3 C19 and C20 brasses. C14 style
tablet, 1887, to those whose graves were disturbed in the
rebuilding of 1887, by Thomas Fish. Large inlaid alabaster with
war memorial in oak surround. Interior has 25 stained glass
windows by Kempe, 1888-1895.

Listing NGR: SK5334649381

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.