History in Structure

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.894 / 54°53'38"N

Longitude: -2.9307 / 2°55'50"W

OS Eastings: 340405

OS Northings: 555867

OS Grid: NY404558

Mapcode National: GBR 7CZV.9F

Mapcode Global: WH802.Y8L1

Plus Code: 9C6VV3V9+HP

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386790

ID on this website: 101217889

Location: St Paul's Church, Carlisle, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



671-1/12/199 (South side)
Church of St Paul


Church of England Church, now Elim Church. 1869-70 by
Habershon and Brock. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered
plinth, with stepped buttresses and string course. Graduated
greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finials.
5-bay nave with aisles and transepts; north-east tower
base/porch and south vestry. West double doors in
shallow-gabled porch, moulded arch with shafts, under large
plate-traceried window and rose window in gable. Flanking
similar small windows in aisles. Aisles to north and south
have paired lancets with quatrefoil heads. Paired clerestory
sunk cinquefoil windows in blind paired arches. Transepts have
plate traceried windows. Tower base has door similar to the
west doorway. Chancel has paired lancets and a plate tracery
east window. Vestry has plank door in chamfered flattened
INTERIOR: pointed aisle arches of alternating red and yellow
blocks of sandstone on round columns. Carved oak pulpit
inscribed to memory of Samuel Waldegrave (Bishop of Carlisle).
Some C19 and C20 stained glass in east window and nave. Open
timber roof. C20 screen at west end.
HISTORY: original plans dated 1869 are in Cumbria County
Record Office, Ca/E4/1044. The Carlisle Journal (1870) records
the laying of the foundation stone; consecrated 30 November
1870. Became Church of St Paul and St Mary in 1932; closed
1976 and declared redundant 1978 when all fittings were
(Carlisle Journal: 1 February 1870).

Listing NGR: NY4040555867

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.