History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Philip and St Jacob

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4546 / 51°27'16"N

Longitude: -2.5844 / 2°35'3"W

OS Eastings: 359491

OS Northings: 173003

OS Grid: ST594730

Mapcode National: GBR CBK.FF

Mapcode Global: VH88N.5P3T

Entry Name: Church of St Philip and St Jacob

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380710

Location: Bristol, BS2

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5973 TOWER HILL
901-1/40/298 (East side)
08/01/59 Church of St Philip and St Jacob

II*

Church. Early C13 chancel, nave and lower tower, mid C15 N
chancel aisle and upper tower, nave altered 1764, N and S
stair turrets to the nave, N porches and refenestration of
1836; restored 1850 by William Armstrong. MATERIALS: Pennant
rubble with limestone dressings; roof not visible.
PLAN: originally cruciform, the S transept now forms the base
of the tower; unclerestoreyed nave and low, gabled aisles,
chancel and N chancel aisle, and 2 N porches. Early English
Gothic chancel and lower tower, Perpendicular Gothic N chancel
aisle and upper tower, Perpendicular Gothic Revival-style
nave.
EXTERIOR: C19 five-light E window and c1450 three-light window
with ogee heads to the chancel aisle. 3-bay N elevation of the
chancel aisle has windows at the E end separated by
buttresses, and a 1836 raised brick parapet and obelisk
pinnacles; C19 porch with angle buttresses at the W end. 3-bay
S side of chancel has C15 two-light square-headed windows with
cinquefoil ogee-heads.
5-bay nave of tall C19 square-headed windows with 2 and 3
lights and trefoil heads beneath label moulds, the centre
projecting stair turret, with a crenellated parapet and
obelisk pinnacles; C19 porch at the W end has angle buttresses
and a moulded door in a label with king's head stops and blank
spandrels.
4-stage tower, stepped at the upper stages, with pronounced
flat, clasping buttresses and additional buttressing to the
ground floor; on the SW corner is a square stair turret; small
C17 panelled S door has a 4-centred arch in a slightly
projecting doorcase, with a drip mould above, and a large
quatrefoil window with a hoodmould; a small lancet to the
second stage, and paired blind lancets with chamfered reveals
and attached shafts to flared capitals on the third stage; C15
belfry has louvred 2-light windows with a central mullion and
a clock above, a crenellated parapet with pinnacles and a
panelled octagonal spirelet to the stair turret.
The S aisle has a smaller central projecting stair turret
forming a full-height bay with a 2-light window. W end with
mid C19 three-light Perpendicular windows to the aisles, and a
similar tall 5-light nave window, with a band of quatrefoil
panels, hoodmould with unusual head stops, and a crenellated
parapet, ramped up to the centre section of 2 pinnacles linked
by a trefoil balustrade.
INTERIOR: a raised chancel with a C19 marble panelled reredos,
3 blind 4-centred arches to the N with half-round shafts and a
narrow soffit of trefoil panels, and the base of a winder
stair to the former rood screen; the W pier is hollowed for a
pulpit stair. The base of the tower has a tall blocked lancet
with deep embrasures to the E; the arch to the S aisle has 3
attached shafts with stiffleaf capitals and an outer
continuous arch; vestigial ribs and springers with black
marble shafts and stiffleaf capitals of a demolished vault.
Pointed chancel arch, and arches at the ends of the aisles
with attached shafts to leaf capitals, and outer continuous
arches; above the N aisle arch (to the old N transept) is a
blocked lancet window with continuous moulding. A 3-bay nave
arcade of wide segmental arches with moulded, square piers
without capitals; the alternate piers were removed and the
arches probably altered in the C18. Fine waggon roof, with
bosses, on carved corbels, similar ones in the S aisle;
arch-braced N chancel aisle roof.
FITTINGS: Laudian fittings including a fine pulpit and
sounding board of 1631 having a moulded octagonal stone base
with a 2-tier oak top of arched panels, with a dentil cornice
and caryatids at the angles; a fine square font cover dated
1623, having 2 tiers of open arched sides and a top of 8
brackets to a finial, on a Norman font with a square scalloped
basin; a fine communion table.
MEMORIALS: chancel: tablet to Gilbert Barcroft d.1722, marble
cartouche with cherubs holding drapes above a skull, and a
number of late C18 and early C19 tablets. Chapel aisle: C14
head of a knight built into the wall; the upper half of the
effigy of knight, c1470, 'which must, when complete, have been
one of the largest effigies in England' (Little); wall
monument to Richard Nelms d.1789, a square base surmounted by
a pyramid with a classical figure in a panel, with drapes
above. A similar wall monument to John Foyle d.1771, a moulded
panel with balls on the sides, beneath a pyramid with head
reliefs, by James Paty Jnr. 4 other marble tablets.
At the W end is a large wall monument to Henry Merrett d.1692,
a marble aedicule with barleysugar columns and Corinthian
capitals, a swan neck pediment containing a swagged segmental
plinth and a cartouche, and in the centre is a half figure
within an oval wreath, with skulls beneath and an apron.
Various hatchments in the nave, a book of the Ten Commandments
c1700 above the tower door, and a carved coat of arms of Queen
Anne above the W porch. Glass: Day memorial window, 1856.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 8 bells from 1789. The SE extension was
built in 1986. The projecting nave wings were built in 1836
for staircases to the galleries, which were removed in 1876.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 407; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B:
Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 2O, 22, 60;
Little B: Churches in Bristol: Bristol: 1978-: 11).


Listing NGR: ST5949173003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRISTOL

ST5973 TOWER HILL
901-1/40/298 (East side)
08/01/59 Church of St Philip and St Jacob

II*

Church. Early C13 chancel, nave and lower tower, mid C15 N
chancel aisle and upper tower, nave altered 1764, N and S
stair turrets to the nave, N porches and refenestration of
1836; restored 1850 by William Armstrong. MATERIALS: Pennant
rubble with limestone dressings; roof not visible.
PLAN: originally cruciform, the S transept now forms the base
of the tower; unclerestoreyed nave and low, gabled aisles,
chancel and N chancel aisle, and 2 N porches. Early English
Gothic chancel and lower tower, Perpendicular Gothic N chancel
aisle and upper tower, Perpendicular Gothic Revival-style
nave.
EXTERIOR: C19 five-light E window and c1450 three-light window
with ogee heads to the chancel aisle. 3-bay N elevation of the
chancel aisle has windows at the E end separated by
buttresses, and a 1836 raised brick parapet and obelisk
pinnacles; C19 porch with angle buttresses at the W end. 3-bay
S side of chancel has C15 two-light square-headed windows with
cinquefoil ogee-heads.
5-bay nave of tall C19 square-headed windows with 2 and 3
lights and trefoil heads beneath label moulds, the centre
projecting stair turret, with a crenellated parapet and
obelisk pinnacles; C19 porch at the W end has angle buttresses
and a moulded door in a label with king's head stops and blank
spandrels.
4-stage tower, stepped at the upper stages, with pronounced
flat, clasping buttresses and additional buttressing to the
ground floor; on the SW corner is a square stair turret; small
C17 panelled S door has a 4-centred arch in a slightly
projecting doorcase, with a drip mould above, and a large
quatrefoil window with a hoodmould; a small lancet to the
second stage, and paired blind lancets with chamfered reveals
and attached shafts to flared capitals on the third stage; C15
belfry has louvred 2-light windows with a central mullion and
a clock above, a crenellated parapet with pinnacles and a
panelled octagonal spirelet to the stair turret.
The S aisle has a smaller central projecting stair turret
forming a full-height bay with a 2-light window. W end with
mid C19 three-light Perpendicular windows to the aisles, and a
similar tall 5-light nave window, with a band of quatrefoil
panels, hoodmould with unusual head stops, and a crenellated
parapet, ramped up to the centre section of 2 pinnacles linked
by a trefoil balustrade.
INTERIOR: a raised chancel with a C19 marble panelled reredos,
3 blind 4-centred arches to the N with half-round shafts and a
narrow soffit of trefoil panels, and the base of a winder
stair to the former rood screen; the W pier is hollowed for a
pulpit stair. The base of the tower has a tall blocked lancet
with deep embrasures to the E; the arch to the S aisle has 3
attached shafts with stiffleaf capitals and an outer
continuous arch; vestigial ribs and springers with black
marble shafts and stiffleaf capitals of a demolished vault.
Pointed chancel arch, and arches at the ends of the aisles
with attached shafts to leaf capitals, and outer continuous
arches; above the N aisle arch (to the old N transept) is a
blocked lancet window with continuous moulding. A 3-bay nave
arcade of wide segmental arches with moulded, square piers
without capitals; the alternate piers were removed and the
arches probably altered in the C18. Fine waggon roof, with
bosses, on carved corbels, similar ones in the S aisle;
arch-braced N chancel aisle roof.
FITTINGS: Laudian fittings including a fine pulpit and
sounding board of 1631 having a moulded octagonal stone base
with a 2-tier oak top of arched panels, with a dentil cornice
and caryatids at the angles; a fine square font cover dated
1623, having 2 tiers of open arched sides and a top of 8
brackets to a finial, on a Norman font with a square scalloped
basin; a fine communion table.
MEMORIALS: chancel: tablet to Gilbert Barcroft d.1722, marble
cartouche with cherubs holding drapes above a skull, and a
number of late C18 and early C19 tablets. Chapel aisle: C14
head of a knight built into the wall; the upper half of the
effigy of knight, c1470, 'which must, when complete, have been
one of the largest effigies in England' (Little); wall
monument to Richard Nelms d.1789, a square base surmounted by
a pyramid with a classical figure in a panel, with drapes
above. A similar wall monument to John Foyle d.1771, a moulded
panel with balls on the sides, beneath a pyramid with head
reliefs, by James Paty Jnr. 4 other marble tablets.
At the W end is a large wall monument to Henry Merrett d.1692,
a marble aedicule with barleysugar columns and Corinthian
capitals, a swan neck pediment containing a swagged segmental
plinth and a cartouche, and in the centre is a half figure
within an oval wreath, with skulls beneath and an apron.
Various hatchments in the nave, a book of the Ten Commandments
c1700 above the tower door, and a carved coat of arms of Queen
Anne above the W porch. Glass: Day memorial window, 1856.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 8 bells from 1789. The SE extension was
built in 1986. The projecting nave wings were built in 1836
for staircases to the galleries, which were removed in 1876.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 407; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B:
Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 2O, 22, 60;
Little B: Churches in Bristol: Bristol: 1978-: 11).


Listing NGR: ST5949173003

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.