This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3517 / 50°21'6"N
Longitude: -3.5774 / 3°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 287873
OS Northings: 51391
OS Grid: SX878513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RBJ3
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.G4B
Entry Name: The Boat Float
Listing Date: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387371
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 THE QUAY
673-1/8/264 (East side)
The Boat Float
Enclosed moorings. Parts may date as early as 1585, the north
side is probably c1685; major works c1889 by WN Bidder,
engineer, whose original plans and elevations, dated 1879, are
on display in Dartmouth Museum. Built of limestone with some
granite, mostly coursed blocks with ashlar kerbs and steps,
includes a cast-iron bridge.
The Boat Float is a trapezoidal enclosure for mooring small
boats. It is surrounded by reclaimed land on the north, west
and south sides and the South Embankment of c1889 forms the
east side, and here the road bridges a channel connecting the
float to the River Dart. A flight of steps lead down to the
water on the west side and there is a ramp down the east side.
Walls are made of roughly-cut blocks laid to courses but there
are several changes of style. Most obviously the west wall
employs larger blocks and it is vertical down to a projecting
plinth whereas the other walls have slight batters and no
plinths. On the east and south sides the kerb has been
replaced with C20 concrete; the northern kerb remains but has
been covered with concrete; the intact western kerb is granite
and includes sandstone slabs over the bridge. Towards the west
end of the northern wall there is a small blocked arch. The
gap through the east side has been lined with C20 concrete.
The bridge above is carried on a pair of large cast-iron
girders fashioned with a flat segmental arch below.
The Boat Float is the focus of the Quay/Butterwalk part of
Dartmouth. It is also of considerable historic interest. The
southern and western sides were the main quay of Dartmouth
from 1585; the southern side was known as Spithead in the C18
and C19; the area to north was reclaimed c1685. The float was
finally enclosed c1889 with the building of the South
Listing NGR: SX8787351391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings