History in Structure

Limerstone Farmhouse Including Brewhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighstone, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.6417 / 50°38'30"N

Longitude: -1.377 / 1°22'37"W

OS Eastings: 444146

OS Northings: 82628

OS Grid: SZ441826

Mapcode National: GBR 8C0.LPD

Mapcode Global: FRA 870C.TL9

Plus Code: 9C2WJJRF+M5

Entry Name: Limerstone Farmhouse Including Brewhouse

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392932

ID on this website: 101218139

Location: Limerstone, Isle of Wight, PO30

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Brighstone

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Brighstone

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Tagged with: Farmhouse

Find accommodation in


1354-0/8/35 Limerstone Farmhouse including
18/01/67 Brewhouse


Farmhouse. Early C17. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with
ashlar quoins and hipped C20 tiled roof with red brick stacks.
L-shaped 2 storeys, 3 windows (not regular). 1st floor has 2
triple casements with stone mullions. 3rd window has early C20
wooden architrave. Ground floor has central 4-light stone
mullioned window with stone hood moulding. Left hand window
has remains of C17 stone hood moulding but C19 frame. Right
side window has an C18 stone architrave with later casement.
Cambered headed stone doorcase. Left side elevation has 1 C17
mullioned window to main house and another to the 1st floor of
the wing. Interior has beams with 3 inch chamfers with lamb's
tongue stops. Lounge has late C16 or early C17 panelling and
cocks head hinges. Late C16 oak board painted with text
discovered beneath the floorboards during restoration in 1884.
"Flee sinfull lies flee unkind speeche,
Ye seeke the thing that is above thy reache
And as thou woldst with that others do to thee
So do to them, let work and deed agree.

On this site in the mid C17 an oratory for Black Canons was
founded here by a member of the Tichborne family who owned
this tithing of the Manor of Colbourne from the mid C12 to the
mid C18. Attached to the south is an C18 brewhouse. 1 storey
Isle of Wight stone rubble with some ironstone and peg tiled
roof with 1 brick chimneystack. End quoins. South side has 1
cambered triple casement. Cambered doorway, triangular
buttress and 2 circular iron ties. Casements to rear. Interior
has brick fireplace and queen strut roof with ridgepiece.

Listing NGR: SZ4414682628

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.