History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall, Gates and Railings Around Former Graveyard and Chapel, Now Rent Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Ryhope, Sunderland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8692 / 54°52'9"N

Longitude: -1.3618 / 1°21'42"W

OS Eastings: 441053

OS Northings: 552897

OS Grid: NZ410528

Mapcode National: GBR LDX4.YB

Mapcode Global: WHD5D.1WS3

Entry Name: Wall, Gates and Railings Around Former Graveyard and Chapel, Now Rent Office

Listing Date: 17 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391618

Location: Sunderland, SR2

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Ryhope

Built-Up Area: Sunderland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Ryhope

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Seaham

Listing Text


SUNDERLAND

NZ4152NW THE VILLAGE, Ryhope
920-1/23/271 (North side)
Wall, gates and railings around
former graveyard and chapel, now
rent office

GV II

Shown on OS as around CoE School.
Wall of graveyard to former chapel, later infants' school,
then library, now rent office; with piers, gates, and railings
to former chapel. c1827, with some repairs. Limestone rubble
graveyard wall with brick coping; lower wall to former chapel
has ashlar coping and piers at ends and at main gates;
wrought-iron railings and gates. Graveyard wall extends round
W, N, E and SE sides of grass to N of former chapel and is of
irregular courses with gabled brick coping; high wall also
continues from E extension of chapel around SE corner, with
stepped pyramidal ashlar coping at corner and junction with
low wall. 3 square piers to W and S of former chapel: that at
W of rusticated ashlar, gate piers to S of coursed squared
stone, all with stepped pyramidal ashlar coping. Lower wall
linking them and joining high wall at SE has wrought-iron
railings and cast-iron principals, and is interrupted by gate
at SW. Plaque attached to former chapel N wall has `This open
space forms part of the churchyard of the Parish of St Paul's
Ryhope and was used for burials 1827 to 1861'


Listing NGR: NZ4105352897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.