This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1555 / 54°9'19"N
Longitude: -3.1864 / 3°11'11"W
OS Eastings: 322616
OS Northings: 473944
OS Grid: SD226739
Mapcode National: GBR 6N5D.Y4
Mapcode Global: WH72B.0TX7
Entry Name: Dalton Castle
Listing Date: 25 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388510
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2273 MARKET PLACE, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/181 Dalton Castle
Pele tower. Mid C14, repaired 1545, remodelled c1704, and in
1856 by Sharpe and Paley (drawing); reroofed 1907. Limestone
rubble with red sandstone dressings, slate roof. Now 2
storeys, rectangular. Chamfered plinth, large quoins. Doorway
in south side has double-chamfered arch and hoodmould; renewed
4-light window above inserted 1856; it has king mullion,
cusped tracery under round arch with hoodmould. West side has
small round-arched door with slit windows of spiral stair
above; restored 2-light window on right has ogee-headed
lights, pointed arch and hoodmould; string course beneath
smaller window in same style. East side has no plinth and no
windows to ground floor; square-headed single-light window on
left of blocked 2-light mullioned window; above which are 2
pointed-arched windows with cusped ogee lights and hoodmoulds.
Moulded oversailing course beneath ashlar sandstone parapet
with slits, one medieval gargoyle, triangular copings built-up
in 3 courses and figure to north-east corner. INTERIOR:
remodelled, present staircase of 1845. Corbels show original
floor levels. 2 original fireplaces to east wall, that in
chamber with trefoil beneath keel-moulded arch with keystone.
Ogee door-heads to the stair turret and to upper west window.
Built to resist the Scottish invasions of the early-mid C14;
later served as court house and prison. Given to the National
Trust in 1965. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(Trans. of Cumberland & Westmoreland Archaeol. & Antiquarian
Soc.: Gaythorpe H: Dalton Castle: 1910-: 312-330).
Listing NGR: SD2261673944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings