History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Hall for the Disabled

A Grade II Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4648 / 50°27'53"N

Longitude: -3.5276 / 3°31'39"W

OS Eastings: 291674

OS Northings: 63889

OS Grid: SX916638

Mapcode National: GBR QV.X58L

Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.PJ0

Plus Code: 9C2RFF7C+WX

Entry Name: Abbey Hall for the Disabled

Listing Date: 3 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390775

Location: Tormohun, Torbay, TQ2

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Tormohun

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St John

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Description


TORQUAY

SX9163 ROCK ROAD
885-1/17/224 (West side)
Abbey Hall for the Disabled

GV II

School, now used as hall. 1853 (Ellis, p.456). Designed by
Edward Appleton (Wilson). Local grey limestone, brought to
course with Bathstone ashlar and hammer-dressed grey limestone
dressings; hipped slate roof. Italianate style.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. The Rock Road elevation has a 5-window
front with deep boxed eaves and projecting sill bands.
Ground-floor sill band originally broken by 2 round-headed
doorways at each end with proud arches and recessed 2-leaf
door to the left, right-hand doorway blocked. 5 first-floor
round-headed windows with proud arches and a platband at the
springing of the arches. Windows glazed with 12-pane sashes
with margin panes and radial glazing bars. Upper tier of
windows high under the eaves are paired round-headed windows
with a similar platband to the ground floor which acts as a
capital for the central mullion. The left return has 3 similar
second-floor windows.
The right return has a central round-headed doorway which
breaks the sill band below 2 outer round-headed first-floor
windows glazed with 12-pane sashes with margin panes and
radial glazing bars. Similar central window with 2 over 3-pane
sash. 3 second-floor windows matching those on the Rock Road
elevation.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but may retain features of interest.
HISTORY: The school was established as the British School in
1853, for boys and infants and conducted by "managers in
premises adjoining" (Ellis, p.456). Attribution to Appleton by
Wilson (ex info). Creates a good pair with the Old Town Hall.
(Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
1930-: P.456).


Listing NGR: SX9167463889

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.