History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Coldhurst, Oldham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5406 / 53°32'26"N

Longitude: -2.1098 / 2°6'35"W

OS Eastings: 392819

OS Northings: 404885

OS Grid: SD928048

Mapcode National: GBR FWQH.0J

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.K8JK

Entry Name: Former Post Office

Listing Date: 8 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388943

Location: Oldham, OL1

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Coldhurst

Built-Up Area: Oldham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Oldham St Mary with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD9204NE UNION STREET
780-1/6/78 (South side)
No.84
Former Post Office

II

Post Office, now in use as library and offices. 1877. Brick
with stone dressings and shallow pitched Welsh slate roof.
Neo-classical style. 2-storeyed, 7-window range with central
entrance in moulded architrave and 2-pane sash windows, also
with moulded architraves and set between pilasters. Additional
doorway to right now disused. Cornice over ground floor forms
sill band of upper 2-pane sash windows in moulded architraves
with entablatures. Stone cornice and parapet, stepped over end
and central bays, with shallow pediment over blind panel in
centre.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).


Listing NGR: SD9281904885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


OLDHAM

SD9204NE UNION STREET
780-1/6/78 (South side)
No.84
Former Post Office

II

Post Office, now in use as library and offices. 1877. Brick
with stone dressings and shallow pitched Welsh slate roof.
Neo-classical style. 2-storeyed, 7-window range with central
entrance in moulded architrave and 2-pane sash windows, also
with moulded architraves and set between pilasters. Additional
doorway to right now disused. Cornice over ground floor forms
sill band of upper 2-pane sash windows in moulded architraves
with entablatures. Stone cornice and parapet, stepped over end
and central bays, with shallow pediment over blind panel in
centre.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).


Listing NGR: SD9281904885

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.