History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Theatre

A Grade II* Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4577 / 50°27'27"N

Longitude: -3.515 / 3°30'54"W

OS Eastings: 292551

OS Northings: 63076

OS Grid: SX925630

Mapcode National: GBR QX.3NHJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37JV.8FK

Plus Code: 9C2RFF5M+3X

Entry Name: Little Theatre

Listing Date: 10 January 1975

Last Amended: 3 May 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218459

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390785

Location: Torbay, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX9263 ST MARK'S ROAD
885-1/18/233 (East side)
10/01/75 Little Theatre
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARK'S ROAD
Church of St Mark)

II*

Parish church converted to theatre. 1856-57 to the designs of
A Salvin; chancel restored 1890-91 by Fulford, Tait and
Harvey. Snecked local grey limestone rubble with sandstone
dressings; slate roofs. Mostly Early English in style with
some Geometric Decorated details.
PLAN: Cruciform plan. Nave; chancel; lean-to aisles; crossing
tower; north and south transepts. Interior altered for present
use, with ticket office in west end, aisles screened off,
auditorium in nave.
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical west front, the nave buttressed, with a
3-light Geometric Decorated west window with nook shafts.
Moulded 2-centred west door with nook shafts and 2-leaf
boarded door with elaborate hinges flanked by vessicas
containing relief carvings of symbols of the evangelists.
Aisles have set-back buttresses and 2-light plate-traceried
west windows. Buttressed aisles have 2-light windows with
trefoil-headed lights below a roundel; trefoil-headed
one-light clerestory windows, arranged in pairs. Shallow
gabled porch on north side towards west with a moulded doorway
with nook shafts. North transept has tall, traceried one-light
windows with a roundel in the gable; octagonal turret in east
of transept with pyramidal stone roof. 5-light east window
with trefoil-headed lights.
Short crossing tower (unrestored after a collapse of 1856)
with clasping pilasters. Pyramidal roof and 5-light window to
east face.
INTERIOR: Conversion has largely obscured the ecclesiastical
fittings. Arch-braced roof to nave with very fine carved
corbel heads. Alabaster reredos by Hems; 1891 Art Nouveau
tiled sanctuary dado by Powell & Sons noted in Pevsner.
Important set of C19 stained glass windows including
work by Hardman, Kempe, Burlison and Grylls and Clayton and
Bell.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London:
1952-1989: P.849).


Listing NGR: SX9255163076

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.