History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul with St Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Rock Ferry, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3741 / 53°22'26"N

Longitude: -3.0157 / 3°0'56"W

OS Eastings: 332524

OS Northings: 386837

OS Grid: SJ325868

Mapcode National: GBR 7YCF.X6

Mapcode Global: WH87D.NG56

Entry Name: Church of St Paul with St Luke

Listing Date: 28 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389265

Location: Wirral, CH42

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Rock Ferry

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Tranmere St Paul with St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Rock Ferry

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2011


SJ38NW
789-1/4/280
28/03/74


BIRKENHEAD
OLD CHESTER ROAD, Tranmere
(West side)
Church of St Paul with St Luke


(Formerly listed as Church of St Paul)


GV
II

Parish church. 1854-5. By W. and J.Hay. Coursed and squared
red sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Nave with transepts, and
chancel. Tower and spire to north of chancel. Massive tower
with heavy angle buttresses, one housing stair turret. Door
with shafts and hood mould over in north face. Second stage
has triple trefoiled windows in chamfered arcading with coping
over. Angles are heavy pinnacles to brooch spire with clock
and tall thin louvred lucarnes forming bell-chamber lights.
Nave has three 2-light Decorated windows to south and door
towards east, against the projecting vestry which halances the
tower to south of chancel. Massive west window of 5-lights.
Scar of porch over north doorway within added hall complex.
4-light Decorated window to transepts with 5 trefoiled lancets
below. 5-light Decorated east window, with crucifix as war
memorial below. Interior: aisleless nave of 3 bays defined by
pointed arched braced principal rafters carried on long wall
posts springing from corbels. Shallow transepts forming a
dramatically wide crossing, the roof trusses forming a
quadripartite vault over. Moulded and chamfered chancel arch.
Chancel screen dated 1910 and enriched 1922. By Hastwell
Grayson. Ogee traceried open-work panels in Perpendicular
style, and central enriched arch. Crucifix with figures of
Saints Mary and John on coved canopy over. Pulpit in similar
style erected when the screen was enriched, 1922. Elaborate
painted reredos, the original centre-piece of between 1883 and
1897 representing Christ in majesty, the hinged wings a later
addition (after 1907), with painted saints and angels. Marble
octagonal font with low relief angels at the cardinal points.
Stained glass: east window, angels and archangels. Figures of
saints in north and south chancel windows, and white glazed
ceramic low relief annunciation scene in lower part of south
window. Figures of bishops and St George in north transept
lower lights. Lower lights of south transept are scenes from
the life of Mary, 1920-1922. Upper window the life of St Paul,
1922.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Harmondsworth: 1971-).


Listing NGR: SJ3252486837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.