History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Patrick, Presbytery and Adjoining Boys' School

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7975 / 53°47'51"N

Longitude: -1.7629 / 1°45'46"W

OS Eastings: 415716

OS Northings: 433496

OS Grid: SE157334

Mapcode National: GBR JHJ.07

Mapcode Global: WHC98.WTQ3

Plus Code: 9C5WQ6XP+2R

Entry Name: Church of St Patrick, Presbytery and Adjoining Boys' School

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219382

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337102

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Manningham St Paul and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Description

1.
5111 SEDGEFIELD TERRACE BD1

Church of St Patrick,
Presbytery and adjoining
Boys' school
SE 1533 34/1031

II


2.
Roman Catholic. 1852-53. The second Catholic Church in Bradford. The priest's
house added in 1866. George Goldie, architect (Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie)
circa 1300 Gothic style. Complicated and picturesque grouping of house, church
and school on corner site with Westgate. Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings.
Tall nave, shallow aisles and slightly lower chancel. Large ogee arched east
window of 6 lights with curvilinear tracery to head of ornate pattern. The
priest's house stands on the corner, 2-storeys with a steep hipped slate roof.
Canted oriel bay windows. Single, 2 and 3 light cusped headed windows otherwise.
Statue of St Patrick inset on corner at first floor level. External chimneys and
2-storey gabled porch to return, shafted doorway under pointed arch. Linking
range to church has 2 gabled semi-dormers flanking external chimney. To rear
of priest's house is a bell cot with stone spirelet. The school to west end of
site has mullioned transomed windows, pointed heads to lights. Slate roof.


Listing NGR: SE1571633495

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.