This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.75 / 52°44'59"N
Longitude: 0.397 / 0°23'49"E
OS Eastings: 561882
OS Northings: 319623
OS Grid: TF618196
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.R5H
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.24BM
Entry Name: Greenland Fishery House
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384073
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE BRIDGE STREET
610-1/9/17 (West side)
Greenland Fishery House
Formerly known as: No.28 Greenland Fisheries Museum BRIDGE
House. Built 1605-8 for the merchant John Atkin.
The last principally timber-framed house known to have been
constructed in Lynn. Brick infill and brick gable-end walls
with stacks. Pantiled roof.
Single range parallel to street with upper hall plan.
2 storeys and attic Present door in ground floor was
originally an open passage leading to 2 cross ranges at rear.
Opening from this passage to south was entry to house, and to
north entry to shop. Underbuilt brick ground floor, partly
rendered. Twin C19 casements left of door, and, in the canted
termination to elevation at south gable, a small mullioned
window lighting staircase. Right of door is one grille window
and a 4-light mullioned window.
Moulded jetty bressumer to first floor. Close studded exposed
timbers. 3 projecting windows, the 2 to north of 5 lights and
transom, other of 4 lights and transom. North window early
C17, others late C17 insertions. Original fenestration was,
probably, of narrow mullioned windows set immediately under
attic jetty, of which the staircase ones survive to south.
Moulded bressumer to attic jetty, the wall close studded
above. Gabled roof with heavy internal gable-end stacks north
and south. Rear wall also timber-framed but obscured by later
2-storey additions incorporating an internal staircase
disguising original sub-medieval layout.
INTERIOR. Ground floor room south of passage with large
central fireplace in south wall. To its left are stairs rising
to attic Fireplace also in room (former shop) to right of
passage. First floor was upper hall running full length of
house with a fireplace at each end.
Wall paintings survive on south wall. Painted panels against
south wall have non-figurative designs of 1650s. C19 or C20
partitions now divide this room. Stairs continued to attic,
which retains C17 partitioning. Larger south part was solar,
also heated and also with wall paintings on south wall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TF6188219623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings