History in Structure

Greenland Fishery House

A Grade II* Listed Building in King's Lynn, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.75 / 52°44'59"N

Longitude: 0.397 / 0°23'49"E

OS Eastings: 561882

OS Northings: 319623

OS Grid: TF618196

Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.R5H

Mapcode Global: WHJP7.24BM

Plus Code: 9F42P9XW+XR

Entry Name: Greenland Fishery House

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219470

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384073

ID on this website: 101219470

Location: King's Lynn, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: King's Lynn

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Kings Lynn



610-1/9/17 (West side)
01/12/51 No.28
Greenland Fishery House


Formerly known as: No.28 Greenland Fisheries Museum BRIDGE
House. Built 1605-8 for the merchant John Atkin.
The last principally timber-framed house known to have been
constructed in Lynn. Brick infill and brick gable-end walls
with stacks. Pantiled roof.
Single range parallel to street with upper hall plan.
2 storeys and attic Present door in ground floor was
originally an open passage leading to 2 cross ranges at rear.
Opening from this passage to south was entry to house, and to
north entry to shop. Underbuilt brick ground floor, partly
rendered. Twin C19 casements left of door, and, in the canted
termination to elevation at south gable, a small mullioned
window lighting staircase. Right of door is one grille window
and a 4-light mullioned window.
Moulded jetty bressumer to first floor. Close studded exposed
timbers. 3 projecting windows, the 2 to north of 5 lights and
transom, other of 4 lights and transom. North window early
C17, others late C17 insertions. Original fenestration was,
probably, of narrow mullioned windows set immediately under
attic jetty, of which the staircase ones survive to south.
Moulded bressumer to attic jetty, the wall close studded
above. Gabled roof with heavy internal gable-end stacks north
and south. Rear wall also timber-framed but obscured by later
2-storey additions incorporating an internal staircase
disguising original sub-medieval layout.
INTERIOR. Ground floor room south of passage with large
central fireplace in south wall. To its left are stairs rising
to attic Fireplace also in room (former shop) to right of
passage. First floor was upper hall running full length of
house with a fireplace at each end.
Wall paintings survive on south wall. Painted panels against
south wall have non-figurative designs of 1650s. C19 or C20
partitions now divide this room. Stairs continued to attic,
which retains C17 partitioning. Larger south part was solar,
also heated and also with wall paintings on south wall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TF6188219623

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.