History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tanhouse, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5551 / 53°33'18"N

Longitude: -2.7589 / 2°45'32"W

OS Eastings: 349820

OS Northings: 406762

OS Grid: SD498067

Mapcode National: GBR 9W5B.HB

Mapcode Global: WH86K.LWFZ

Entry Name: Yew Tree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 June 1973

Last Amended: 11 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388982

Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Tanhouse

Built-Up Area: Skelmersdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Dalton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Appley Bridge

Listing Text


SKELMERSDALE

SD40NE ELMERS GREEN LANE
783-1/1/20 (East side)
25/06/73 Yew Tree Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND
ELMERS GREEN LANE
Yew Tree House & adjoining barn)

GV II

Farmhouse with attached barn, (barn not included), now 2
dwellings. Dated 1679 on gable of wing and 1710 on main range,
but probably earlier; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble
painted white with stone dressings painted black; stone slate
roof. Shallow U-plan formed by one-bay hall range with 2-bay
cross-wings.
One-and-a-half storey main range and 2-storey wings, 1:1:1
windows; with a plinth and 1st floor band to the centre and
the left wing, a central doorway with rectangular lintel,
flanked by 12-pane top-hung casement windows, a datestone over
the door with raised lettering: C/ TE/ 1710, and above this a
gabled half-dormer with a window like those below. The left
wing has a square casement window on each floor, both with
raised sills and the upper with a floating band over it. The
right-hand wing has an oblong window on each floor, the lower
offset to the left and both with raised sills, thin lintels
and altered glazing, and a datestone in the gable with raised
lettering: C/ II/ 1679. Ridge chimney at junction with
right-hand wing, corner chimney to this wing.
Rear has lean-to outshut to main range, and C20 wing.
INTERIOR: timber-framed partition walls to the wings; former
lateral partition of right-hand wing removed; principal-rafter
roof truss with curved principals and superimposed apex.


Listing NGR: SD4982006762

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.