History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

44, Market Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1357 / 54°8'8"N

Longitude: -0.7982 / 0°47'53"W

OS Eastings: 478620

OS Northings: 471766

OS Grid: SE786717

Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.Z6

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.Q93T

Entry Name: 44, Market Place

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Last Amended: 5 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389450

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 MARKET PLACE
801-1/8/71 (North East side)
29/09/51 No.44
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET PLACE
(North East side)
Nos.42 AND 44)

GV II

House, now shop. Late C17, possibly with earlier origins;
front altered, with probable cutting back of jetty, in late
C19; shop fittings of early C20. Painted brick at front, with
timber eaves course; rear timber-framed with orange-red brick
infill. Coped gables with shaped kneelers, and brick end
stacks to pantile roof. 2-storey 3-window front, probably
jettied originally. At left end, 4-panel door in pilastered
opening leads to rear access passage. To right, double shop
front with recessed glazed doors in centre, between canted
plate-glass windows with moulded glazing bars, over tiled
risers; glazed showcase between doors. Continuous fascia and
moulded cornice over all ground floor openings, together with
roller blind boxes complete with fittings, by Irving & Co of
Manchester. Latticed ironwork security grilles to shop
doorways, and panelled window shutters and bars survive. First
floor windows are 4-pane sashes. Moulded eaves course beneath
overhanging eaves on massive shaped brackets. Rear: small area
of timber-framing visible at right end above later extensions.
INTERIOR: heavy chamfered spine beam in front part of shop.
C19 and early C20 display cabinets and fittings survive
throughout ground floor.


Listing NGR: SE7862071766

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.