This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7142 / 50°42'51"N
Longitude: -2.439 / 2°26'20"W
OS Eastings: 369098
OS Northings: 90604
OS Grid: SY690906
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RFG2
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S6.1MC
Entry Name: Dorchester County Hospital (Main Block Only)
Listing Date: 8 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393669
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Built-Up Area: Dorchester
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Dorchester County Hospital
(Main block only)
SY 6990 7/287
Founded 1838, and designed shortly after. North wing opened May 1841: centre
l846: South wing 1859: chapel 1862. Architect: Benjamin Ferrey.
Portland hammerdressed stone. Ashlar quoins. Pitched tile roofs. Ashlar
chimneys with diagonally placed stacks. Coped stone gable ends with scrolled
and fluted kneelers. 2 storeys and attics. Continuous dripmould above ground
floor. U-shaped main block, with wings projecting west. Main range has 3 projecting
bays, centre one projecting most, and all 3 with gable crowning 3rd storey.
Central projecting bay has modern door in 4 centred arch with moulded jambs
and voussiors: recessed moulded panel at dripstone level bearing armorial coat
and motto in relief: 3-light mullion and transom window with hood mould on 1st
floor and 2-light mullioned window with hoodmould on 2nd floor. 2 other projecting
bays have 4-light mullion and transom windows on ground and 1st floors and 2-light
mullion windows on 2nd floor - hoodmoulds to windows on lst and 2nd floors.
Between projecting bays there are 1 range each of 3-light mullion and transom
windows, and 1 range each of single light windows with transoms. Terminal
wings have (to courtyard) 2 ranges each of 4-light mullion and transom windows.
End elevations masked by modern additions which are not listable.
Chapel, erected as memorial to Arthur Acland Troyte, who had been introduced
to Ferrey by the Williams of Bridehead (Ferrey's original patrons in the Dorchester
area, and the sponsors of the Hospital), had himself become an architect under
Ferrey's guidance, and who had died in 1857.
2 storeys. Stringcourse. Undercroft has blocked pointed arcade. lst floor
has 4 pointed lancets with EE tracery, hoodmoulds and mask label stops, East
end has 3-light window also with EE tracery. Interior plain with contemporary
pews, lectern,altar rail, and gallery. Stained glass in east window. Cornice
decorated with inscription in high relief "Praise the Lord O my soul and forget
not his benefits who forgiveth all thy sin and healeth all thine infirmities."
Listing NGR: SY6909890604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings