This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3985 / 51°23'54"N
Longitude: -1.3265 / 1°19'35"W
OS Eastings: 446949
OS Northings: 166817
OS Grid: SU469668
Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.7FK
Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Y3LS
Entry Name: The Eight Bells
Listing Date: 29 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393758
Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Newbury
Built-Up Area: Newbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. BARTHOLOMEW STREET
The Eight Bells
SU 4666 NE 7/36 29.9.50
Probably C17; formerly the Eight Bells public house until circa 1970.
Refenestrated C19 with modern 2 storey addition at the rear. One-and-a-half storeys.
Three gabled bays, that at south and over carriageway to the former 'Trafalgar Place'
Tiled roof with finials and bargeboards to gables. Timber-framed with plastered
front. Three-light ground floor windows with traceried Gothick lights; 2-light
1st floor windows with traceried lights and hood moulds. Gabled porch with turned
balusters; ½ glazed door. Interior with moulded beams.
Listing NGR: SU4694966817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings