This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5612 / 53°33'40"N
Longitude: -2.7302 / 2°43'48"W
OS Eastings: 351731
OS Northings: 407422
OS Grid: SD517074
Mapcode National: GBR 9WC8.Q4
Mapcode Global: WH86L.1R69
Plus Code: 9C5VH769+FW
Entry Name: Knights Hall
Listing Date: 25 June 1973
Last Amended: 11 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389053
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2019
ROBY MILL (West side)
No 53, Knights Hall
(Formerly listed as Knights House, ROBY MILL, previously listed as SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND, ROBY MILL, Knights House and gate piers)
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1716 at first floor, but containing fabric which suggests a remodelling of a much earlier building; remodelled again in later C19, and altered. Coursed squared sandstone (the wings rock-faced), with roof of interlocking concrete tiles.
Irregular plan formed by one-and-a-half-depth main range, a set-back single-depth side wing to left (south) and a set-back double-depth side wing to right. 2 storeys and 2:3:2 windows. The three window main range has a chamfered plinth and a broad band over each floor; a doorway to the left with chamfered surround and keystone, a square moulded datestone above the door lettered: 1716/ EK/ PK, two top-hung casements imitating four-pane sashes at ground floor and three four-pane sashes at first floor, all in openings which have keystoned lintels (and may have been formerly cross-windows) and those at ground floor with sills lowered in C19. The wing to the left has four-pane sashes and that to the right has sixteen-pane unhorned sashes, all with wedge lintels. Gable chimneys and ridge chimney at junction of second and third bays of main range.
Rear: five-light chamfered mullion windows on each floor of north portion of main range, and square stair-window in centre, all these with floating wedge-shaped bands over, and that at ground floor run out over the doorway; continuous masonry to main range and south wing (except that the latter lacks the plinth).
INTERIOR: timber-framed partition wall between present main range and south wing; two moulded axial beams in main room (one quarter-round and the other ovolo); two crudely chamfered lateral beams in the room above; Tudor-arched fireplace with top-chamfered surround (now replaced with copy).
HISTORY: a former timber-framed building extending further to the south is suspected.
Listing NGR: SD5173107422
Other nearby listed buildings