History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4588 / 51°27'31"N

Longitude: -2.5932 / 2°35'35"W

OS Eastings: 358879

OS Northings: 173481

OS Grid: ST588734

Mapcode National: GBR C8H.GX

Mapcode Global: VH88N.0LDJ

Plus Code: 9C3VFC54+GP

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220220

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380889

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5873SE WHITSON STREET
901-1/11/347 (East side)
04/03/77 Church House
(Formerly Listed as:
WHITSON STREET
Church House, Vicarage of the Church
of St James)

GV II*

House. Dated 1666 on front plaque, altered C19. Rendered
Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, timber-framed
right-hand wall, rubble lateral and axial stacks and slate
cross gabled roof.
Single front and rear rooms divided by a stack with fireplaces
each side, and right-hand C19 stair. 2 storeys, attic and
basement; 2-window range.
A steep gable parapeted each side, with limestone quoins to
the right-hand side and ashlar dressings to the attic window,
and late C19 tooled ashlar surround to small right-hand
doorway. C18 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, with paired C19
plate-glass sashes to the attic, and late C17 keyed oculus in
the top of the gable. 2 small shields over the doorway
inscribed ETA and 1666.
INTERIOR: a fine late C17 ground-floor full-width front room
with full bolection-moulded panelling to a cornice, a panelled
overmantel to left-hand fire surround, a fine carved
overmantel to the rear with a Doric entablature beneath a
central cartouche with helm and rocaille, and side sections
set back with carved classical allegorical figures holding
shields. A fine plaster ceiling in 2 sections with detailed
panels, pomegranates and moulded bosses, separated by a
panelled Jacobean-style beam with strapwork, and a frieze
above the cornice with adorsal griffins; panelling flanking
fireplace and overmantel in the rear ground-floor room; the
first-floor front room has a small Tudor-arched cupboard on
the front second-floor room to the left and a cyma-moulded and
stopped beam; diagonal-braced timber-framed wall with re-used
timbers. Plasterwork of similar style and content to that in
the Llandoger Trow, King Street (qv), though better quality.
Possibly part of a house with several gables, of which that to
the Church of St James to the right (qv) may previously have
been one.


Listing NGR: ST5887973480

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.